Vee Jaws

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just ordered a 6" X 2" X 2" T slot quick change Monster Jaws and some low profile cap head screws to go with it, for my Kurt D688 (getting it in a couple days). My intent is to make a set of Vee jaws for holding round stock, horizontally and vertically. Just like the typical ones you see for sale, but I want to make my own. The Monster jaws are so reasonable, it didn't make a lot of sense to pick up raw stock.
My question is, what is the preferred way of cutting the 45 degree Vs in the jaw? Should I use a 45 degree cutter? Should I tilt the head to 45 and just use and end mill? Is there a most sensible way to make the cut with the jaws installed in the trammed vise?

It really doesn't make that much difference. If you have the 45 degree cutter use it. I'd rather tilt the head than buy a special cutter. You just have to retram the head when you finish.

The preferred way to cut the V's depends on the tooling at hand. I have clamped the part in a tool makers vise and clamped that in the mill vise at a 45. If you can just use what you have. Of cores nothing wrong with buying new tools.

If you are lazy like I get at times, I set the part at 45 deg in the vise and mill the vee.

Ok. Well I don't have a cutter that will cut a 90 degree Vee with the jaws flat, and I don't think they are even made. So, I will resort to tilting the head. After all, that's what they're made for, right? My head won't nod, so I will have to cut the horizontal Vee on the Y axis. If I can get my Millrite back together before I do this I have enough travel in the Y axis to put the jaws end to end and make both cuts at the same time to keep everything lined up. I would fasten the jaws to a flat bar using the T slot holes and cap screws.
Sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Don't over think it. You want a V groove in one jaw, right? It isn't really important exactly where it should be, just near the center of the jaws. OK, mount your new jaw at a bout 45 degrees so that you are cutting near the center. Use a half inch 2 flute end mill and make a cut about 3/4 deep. Just a little at a time, you don't want to throw it out of the vice. Turn jaw over so you're cutting the other side of the V and finish it. Are you making a display piece, do you want to lap it for pretty? No, you say? OK, put it in the vice and use it. No big deal. If it's not 90º, not 45º on each side, it will still work, that's what you want isn't it? We seem to be nurturing a culture where hobbyists are working toward art instead of function.

I was going to mill the Vee on both halves. If it is just as well to only do so to one half, I' m game for that!

Back