Van Norman School.....

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
Well with all of this talk about vn on here I'd figure I'd ask about them. Only heard of them on here. What's different from them and say a Cincinnati? Or a bridge port? Newb question I know, just don't beat me too badly lol.

Thanks,
Chris

I consider both the Van Normans and (some of) the Cinncy mills to be an offshoot of the original Brown and Shapre design.
(http://archive.org/details/practicaltreati00cogoog)

The VN is a more is a very evolved design from a different "branch" of the mill ffamily tree than a Bridgeport. I have never used a Cinncy, myself but many of them LOOK more like Van Normans.

Differences from Bridgeport:

Main difference to me: The VN has no Quill Z movement. All up/down happens with the table
Next difference to me: Double Y movement points. The RAM and the table move in/out on most VN models.
Next difference to me: VNs come ready to Horz mill out of the box. And even heavier cuts are possible this way. Bridgeports often need 90 degree heads to do this and can only take smaller cuts.

I think Van Norman are gaining popularity because of the mill-power-per-dollar formula is very high. Used VNs are cheap and even a small Van Norman can take a cut so deep it would make a Bridgeport shudder and leap (if not stall outright).

However, if you live to make lots of tiny cuts or you need to drill a lot of angled holes into a work piece that needs to be bolted flat for some reason - a Bridgeport is what you want.

Thank you for the information. But I have never seen a van Norman in person. How do the compare size wise to a Bridgeport? And besides there being no quill feed, are there any other down sides to them? I know I keep bringing up a Bridgeport, but that's about all I have been around.

Thanks,
Chris

Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-e_d9L7O2M

You should search for a few more - to get an idea of the setups. Really the differences come down to setup in my mind. But if you want a Drill with some milling ability - you need a Bridgeport. The VN is an "old school" mill.

A Van Norman carries its weight a little lower, I think. But the real rigidity comes from the cutter head being RIGHT ON the Ram and bolted up tight - I know as I just had to 'persuade' one loose. The surfaces areas of contact areas between the moving parts are larger - this results in stability, rigidity, and big cuts with low hp needed.

One advantage to a VN is the height
I was on a Bridgeport kick for a while until I realized it would be to tall for my basement
The VN 12 was not only shorter but has horizontal and vertical milling capability !
I love mine, the machine is solid as a rock and way more machine then I will probably ever
need
If you can pick one up for $500 to $800 depending on tooling
It could be the last machine you need
And they look cool as well !

Thanks Dave!!! Sorry i didnt see your post earlier. Height is my problem as well. How tall are they overall?

Thanks,
Chris

With the original large motor on top, I would estimate about 6 feet to 6 and a half feet.

I only have 84" (7 feet) of headroom in my shop. I know this because I framed the walls. The #12 fits. It's a little taller than me and I'm 6'2".​

Back