Van Norman Grease ????

dave

Registered
Registered
I finally have my # 12 up and running
I thought I would be smart and dismantle, clean and regrease my cutter head
Now after 10 min running at half speed it starts to fling grease and oil on to the cutter
I used lucas red and tacky grease does anyone know the real match to the Van Norman
grease ?

The grease I found comes from Repair parts Inc. They are the last noted repairmen for Van Norman Mills.
I believe its Cosmolube #2. You can find their website by going to J Kasunich's site. I usually just Google Van Norman#12 to find his site and go to links.
They sold me a 1 lb can as well as a new lip seal for my spindle.
Good luck.

Bill

Congratulations on getting it running.

I think there are 2 possible answers to your question

Answer A: You have "old school" bearings and need grease with "bentonite" in it (aluminum phyllosilicate - clay). If this is you then I can suggest Lubriplate 930-2. I have 9 tubes in the shop (you can buy this a lot of places in "oil country"). If you were close I would send you a tube for postage. If not, you can find it on amazon by the case. This grease is "tacky" and won't easily heat up and run off.

Answer B: You have modern replacement bearings and you need whatever kind of lube is correct for that bearing.

The problem is that with my machine I don't know what I have. I suspect A, but I am not sure and I don't know exactly how to tell.

I might also suggest that your oil is running through your bearings. Depending on your cutter head (old/new) design there are seals that might have looked more like "stains" on the steel by the time you saw them inside your cutter head. Mobile DTE is the family of oils often suggested for the CH oil.

You can't go wrong with RPI - but keep in mind - IF your bearings are modern - grease designed for 60 year old tech might not be perfect. And I would not pay anyone > $20 a tube for anything.

I don't know about the seals that you might need to replace but I suggest that you Google "California roll grease" "Van Norman" and get set for an hours worth of light reading about heavy oil (and grease).

I spent more than a few hours looking for the correct grease. Call RPI and give them your machine's model and serial #.

Back