Van Norman #12 - Classified add

I have looked at them a bit on the net. I love the hori and vert abilities. I wonder how hard it is to find parts and tooling for them. I think it's cool that you can have multiple cutters spaced out with spacers to cut multiple grooves at one time.

Yes, that a Van Norman No. 12. It's missing the overarm support bracket and the stops for the power feed. Are you interested in it, or just passing this on?

Cal

I am just passing the information on in case this is a good deal.

I figure it could be had for $800 -$900.

Yes, that a Van Norman No. 12. It's missing the overarm support bracket and the stops for the power feed. Are you interested in it, or just passing this on?

Am I missing something? What power feed? Earl

Am I missing something? What power feed? Earl
All No. 12 millers have power feed on the table X-axis. The feed motor is mounted on the back of the column and drives the feed gears in the table via a telescoping shaft with U-joints on each end. There are movable and fixed stops in a T-slot on the front of the table that kick the feed mechanism out. Idiots often remove the fixed stop on the right end to try to get a little more travel and blow out the right handwheel support bracket.

Cal

Up until I found this classified add, I had never seen this machine. In an attempt to educate myself I have been doing a little research on the Van Norman universal mills. These look like they are very capable and versatile mills.

Are they easy to use and get accessories for or is there a steep learning curve?

jweaver,

they are easy machine to use, but it is hard to find parts for them, unless you know someone parting one out. that being said, they are stout little buggers. VN have a strong following with helpful owners. they use a proprietary collet (http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Spindle.htm#5V).

I would steer to a VN 16 because of the 40 taper, but I wouldnt kick a #12 out of bed for eating crackers, if i had room in my bed...

jweaver,

they are easy machine to use, but it is hard to find parts for them, unless you know someone parting one out. that being said, they are stout little buggers. VN have a strong following with helpful owners. they use a proprietary collet (http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Spindle.htm#5V).

I would steer to a VN 16 because of the 40 taper, but I wouldnt kick a #12 out of bed for eating crackers, if i had room in my bed...

Toag

I notice that the 12 is referred to as a universal mill but I can not seem to find any information that calls the 16 a universal. Is Are there things the 12 can perform that the 16 can not (vise-Verse)?

Not that i'm in any position to purchase one right now (unless the perfect deal came along) I have been looking ahead and was previously looking to the Bridgeport camp but now, the VN is looking pretty sweet.

Back