V42 spindle help needed

OK.

I've never actually seen a machine with vertical countershaft. Given that on the 10" the vertical bracket is attached to the headstock and the horizontal to the bench, I would expect less chance of misalignment and possibly a more rigid setup. But otherwise the disadvantage of the vertical is no cover over the top of front and top of the headstock. I would say that the horizontal is inherently safer and better at keeping swarf out of the headstock.

Robert D.

I've also heard (read) of reports where there is some minor twisting of the bed due to the weight of the motor on the bed and headstock, on the vertical arrangement. Though I'm not experienced enough to recognize it yet. I can, however, say that using a machinist's level to check your bed set up is paramount to obtaining any sort of decent finish. I did learn that the hard way.

Terry

Terry,

That would be true, I suppose. However, if the owner levels the lathe properly (and with motor installed and belts tight), any hypothetical twist would be adjusted out. Plus although belt tension may be the lesser force (compared with motor weight hanging out the rear), with the horizontal countershaft the spindle belt tension is trying to twist the top of the bed toward the rear, too.

Robert D.

you say that your headstock has more wear at left hand spindle bearing?
mine has it at right hand end, i'm wondering now whether it might be attributed to which pulleys/speeds are used most rather than weight of chuck as i first suspected.
i find if slower speed pulleys, ie right hand two, not so much tendency to chatter, even though i have 5/6 thou clearance in r/h bearing. just enquiring to see if anyone has stumbled across/knows anything along these lines as im trying to figure out a solution to the clearance problem that i have w/out having to convert to roller bearing/s

scratch that last, turns out it's all wear on spindle. none on bearings.

timmeh,

Have you tried peeling shims off of the shim pack?

Robert D.

Yeah, none left, Look's like no wear in bearings, all in spindle. So now to find out what material the
spindle is made from, and build it up.

timmeh,

If you call Clausing (ask for old Atlas parts) and first ask whether they have a 10-31 spindle, and the answer is no, they will probably send you a PDF drawing of the spindle. It should have the material on it.

Robert D.

Back