V-groove cutting tool

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
I need to make a crankshaft pulley for a 46 Dodge flathead six engine. I need to find or make a cutting tool for the V-grooves the belts run in. I need something along the lines of .40 wide and .47 deep. Does anyone make a tool like this?

Attachments

• IMG_7062.JPG
    IMG_7062.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 101
I would consider a trip to a junk yard, or Ebay. Older automotive pulley's are often very similar. and even if you have to weld up the mounting holes and re-drill it would be much easier and probably cheaper. than starting from scratch. Why don't you list all the dimensions and I will look through what I have, and maybe some other member may have one that may work also. Mike

You're probably better off grinding your own custom HSS form tool than finding an exact tool that you want. I'm thinking it might chatter like crazy if you try to plunge in and form that groove in one shot.

Or use a grooving tool with a profiling insert. Rough out to depth, then use your compound to cut the appropiate angle. Something like this (but I dunno, I've never needed to machine a v-belt groove before).

20220616_205204.jpg

You're probably better off grinding your own custom HSS form tool than finding an exact tool that you want. I'm thinking it might chatter like crazy if you try to plunge in and form that groove in one shot.

Or use a grooving tool with a profiling insert. Rough out to depth, then use your compound to cut the appropiate angle. Something like this (but I dunno, I've never needed to machine a v-belt groove before).

View attachment 414853

This is how I machine v belt pulleys... trying to machine the entire groove in one pass leads to lots of chatter... which leads to stress and frustration. I've tried it...

-Bear

I’ve also made several and in each case nibbled in on each side until I got to depth. With the rough shape established I could then clean up each of the sides separately. My tool was shaped a lot like an acme thread tool, and deliberately shallower in angle than the final profile of the pulley. That way I didn’t have to worry about dragging the sides or being super accurate as I worked in to depth. Very much along the idea of a parting tool but a bit stouter with regards to deflection because of the narrow V shape. This should link to some photos.

-frank

I have looked around every junk yard in the area without luck. I know from personal experience that Mopar did not make one for flatheads. I found a slant/6 two row pulley that fits the crank perfectly, but the od is too large and interferes with the frame crossmember. There are a couple of Chevy pulleys that I may be able to adapt. The engine uses a crank hub that the pulley bolts too which make it a bit less difficult to make one up. The diameter is 6.25".

Attachments

• IMG_7022.JPG
    IMG_7022.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 107
pm'd you some info on one I found. Mike

I've got a couple of options working. Fomogo has offered me a possible pulley I can fit. I'm also talking to a machinist tomorrow who thinks he can make something up. I will report back on the outcome.

Back