V block to mount in toolpost

trapper

Active User
Registered
Does anyone know where I can get a vblock that I can mount in the toolpost to allow me to cross drill round bar and tube on my lathe?

Sadly making one is not an option as I do not have a milling machine YET

Do you need the absolute precision and strength of a V-block or could you get by with some angle iron? It's a lot easier to work with and you could probably fashions something to serve your purpose without too much fuss...

Does anyone know where I can get a vblock that I can mount in the toolpost to allow me to cross drill round bar and tube on my lathe?

Sadly making one is not an option as I do not have a milling machine YET

It's been suggested that I could get a crotch centre and mount it in the tailstock. The problem I have with that I the accuracy should the taper slip. Also I feel that a vblock set up would allow the workpiece to be clamped to the block and trued up using the toolpost, and of course with the compound slide set up it would allow angled drilling. I do like the concept of angle iron.... maybe welded to an old turning tool or a bar sized to suit say aparting off tool holder.

Im very much a junior in all of this most experience to date is in wood turning. In that I have cross drilled spindles using a handdrill mounted on a (sorby) drill holder itself mounted in the tool post with the workpiece mounted between centres locked by an index ring on the headstock chuck.

Thats really the base of my thoughts and i hope would allow me to machine splines etc for half shafts and the like

Any thoughts greatfully received........ stephen.french@fsmail.net

If you mount a block on the compound and using an endmill in the chuck, mill a slot. It will be on center and as long as it is narrower than the stock your cross drilling it will be ok . it doesn't have to be a vee to work. Just be sure to square the block with the chuck.

If you mount a block on the compound and using an endmill in the chuck, mill a slot. It will be on center and as long as it is narrower than the stock your cross drilling it will be ok . it doesn't have to be a vee to work. Just be sure to square the block with the chuck.

Thanks for that yes I guess simple is best, how do you secure the workpiece to the block?

trapper, do you have a QCTP? ( quick change tool post ) Also, what size is your lathe?

Jeff

trapper, do you have a QCTP? ( quick change tool post ) Also, what size is your lathe?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Yes I have a QCTP and also a four way. The lathe is a Clarke CL300M otherwise known as a Siege c2. 300mm between centres 180mm over bed. zero - 3000rpm with uprated motor.

Thanks for that yes I guess simple is best, how do you secure the workpiece to the block?
You could drill and tap 2 holes and use a strap clamp. although a drill press would probably be easier with the same setup, depending on what machines you have.

Another idea that a lot of folks do is make a bracket that will fit one of your QCTP holders and mount a Dremel for cross drilling. That way it's totally adjustable - you can cross drill or turn the tool post and drill a bolt circle on the face, or drill angles, or.......?. I made mine out of aluminum and milled it on the lathe.

Steve

Back