'V' block substitute?

7HC

Active User
Registered
Not that I necessarily want to do this, but I was idly wandering the Internet and ended up looking as a pair of pillow blocks like this one:

PillowBlock.jpg

So, would it be possible to use a pair of these inexpensive PBs to locate a length of round rod on the mill table for machining?
I'm assuming the blocks would be in line and that the rod would held firmly down at either end with regular step blocks.

M

PillowBlock.jpg

Don't think so Mike. Besides the ends of the stock you would need to positively lock the bearings. If they were to move during the cut, everything would move.

"Billy G" :thinking:

I agree that wouldn't work - probably a disaster waiting to happen. It also sounds like something I would have tried if I had a pair of pillow blocks laying around.
OTOH, If you don't have V-Blocks and clamps, 5C collet blocks are available pretty cheap too.

Joe

If you have a mill, and a piece of scrap, you can make some V-blocks pretty easily. Just clamp the stock in the vice at about a 45 degree angle, and cut a notch in it with an end mill. If you then cut the stock in have (perpendicular to the "V" you just cut) you will have 2 pretty well matched V-blocks. Not as good as a hardened/ground set, but great in a pinch.

The main purpose of the V blocks in this context is to keep round stock from rolling around on you. I don't think those pillow blocks are gonna get you much in the way of rigidity. Another thing you can try is laying the shaft down in one of the T-slots on your table (assuming it is larger than the T-slot). If the T-slots are well machined it might serve for your purposes.

DMS, Great suggestion on the "T" slots, I would have never thought of that!
I did make a "V" block type of holding/cross drilling fixture for my mini lathe based on a Taig or Sherline website posting before I had a mill. I used a block of 6061 Al. mounted on the tool post stud and milled the "V"s with a countersink. Used it maybe twice, but it did the intended job.

Chuck

Chuck up a rod of the same size as your T-slots to position the slot centered under the spindle.

If you're not after really high precision, some scrap angle iron has gotten me out of a few pinches. Had 6.5" piece of round stock (doesn't it in the vises) that needed a slot down the side. I rigged-up something using a couple pieces of angle iron.

"So, would it be possible to use a pair of these inexpensive PBs to locate a length of round rod on the mill table for machining"?

Sure you can go that route, but check first to see if the bar you mount in there will be parallel with the table. The blocks, may be machined with one being higher than the other.

So, if you were going to cut a keyway slot, it may have a tapered bottom. Which is not a good thing.

Indicate the bar in, to check for parallel first.

DMS, your suggestion of using the tables T-slots is a great idea. I like that :thumbzup:

Back