Using just the handwheels (vs a DRO)

BiggerNoise

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A fair number of folks don't use a DRO, preferring to count revolutions of the hand wheels.

I've tried counting each turn out loud, but it seems more often than not I end up off by one count.

What's a good way to keep count of the turns?
If you lose count, how do you re-establish your location?

The DRO was vary much a constant during my apprenticeship, So I haven't much needed to count revolutions. Though I did ask the vary same question to my mentor at the time and answer was simply you don't keep track. You rely on layout dye and scribe lines made prior to machining, as well as being mindful of always being on either the push or pull side of the backlash. If a feature was 4 3/8 from the origin, then having cutter approximately over the finish line as well as the Bridgport dials displaying .175 then you know you are over and on to the finish line. Having a memory of the inches and their fractional numerical equivalents is a must.

Really appreciate all of the replies.

The real trick to using the handwheels is to understand how to eliminate backlash from the turn calculation.
It is easy if you remember to inch up on the movement always from the same direction of turning the wheels.
And if you overshoot, or turn the wheel the wrong direction, turn the wheel at least ½ turn in the wrong direction so that when you are turning the wheels in the right direction, the backlash is removed when you head in the right direction.

Dial indicators make this easier.

Layout is they key. Then double check with a scale as you work.
I use both the DRO and the dials at the same time. Trust but verify.
I still make mistakes.

I use a Sharpie marker to mark a rough in line, then work down to that. I try to get it close enough that at most I have 3-4 turns to the final size.

My lathe is .200” per revolution. It even on my mill with .100” per revolution a sharpie mark is usually enough to let me know when it is the last rev. Count up front before your cut when you can focus, make a good mark. Then when you are cutting you only have to know the last rev and your stopping point. Can even put a sharpie mark on the hand wheel to keep that straight.

Back