Using Inserted Face Mills

Low carbon steels often produce a terrible finish, if a light finish cut has a poor surface finish try removing most of the inserts and decrease the feeds and speeds. If you remove all but one insert you will then have a fly cutter.

The reason that multi tooth face mills exist is to remove the most material in the least amount of time for production work. If you are a hobbyist where machine time is not the most important factor then as mentioned above you will probably have better results with a single point tool.

Jason:
I retired from Kennametal 3 years ago after 35 years of service. Since retirement, Kennametal purchased Stellram, so I don't know much about their offering under the Kennametal umbrella. However, Stellram makes some really good milling products and some really excellent small parts tools for turning and other standard stuff as well. The design in the ad is considered a "high feed" mill due to the low, approximately 15 deg. approach angle. Stellram high feed cutter inserts have a curved edge as is noted by the "X" (wild card-anything goes) in the first position on the insert package. But for explanation we will call it a 15 deg. angle. These tools produce high axial force into the spindle and low radial force. This means that you would be producing an equal amount of downward force on the part. So, a not so stable part with a thin cross section would probably be somewhat unstable coming onto the part and leaving the part. Do not set your depth of cut to anything greater than the height of the 15 degree angle. Typical cutters of this type require high feed rates because of the extreme chip thinning that takes place with the low lead angle. Feed rates for typical zero degree lead cutters are .003 to .010 per tooth per rev., but your cutter is probably comfortable in the .015 to .040 chip load per tooth range. For example, a 45 degree lead cutter with a .010 chip load per tooth will produce a chip of only .707 (sine of 45 deg.) x .010, or .00707 thickness. .010 feed rate at a 15 degree lead would produce a chip thickness of only .0026. To achieve a .010 chip thickness the feed will have to be nearly .040 per tooth. These tools require high feeds to make the inserts function properly. An example for your tool would be to run, lets say .060 depth of cut, with half of the tool engaged on a low carbon steel. Lets use 3 inches as our cutter diameter and 1.5 inches as our radial width of cut. Metal removal rates (MRR) are expressed in cubic inches per minute and are easy to calculate. Cubic anything requires Length x Width, x Height. Your cutter has 5 teeth and we will use a feed rate per tooth of .025". Bottom end for low carbon steel would be around 400 SFM. 400SFM on a 3 inch cutter is 509 RPM. 509 x 5 teeth x .025 = 63.625 IPM feed rate. Length = 63.625,
Width =1.5, height =.060.
MRR= 63.625 x 1.5 x .060= 5.73 cubic inches per minute. Low carbon steel requires roughly .9 horsepower per cubic inch of metal removed. This example will require 5.73 ci x .9 = 5.16 horse power.

Ken, above, recommends TPG32 style inserts. Great advise, every manufacturer I know still makes TPGs. What to look for... Make sure there is a "G" in the third position. That indicates that the tool is ground to a +/-.001 tolerance and will typically have a sharp edge. Look for a grade that has high toughness. ONLY buy PVD coated or uncoated grades if you want to have a sharp edge. CVD coatings ALWAYS require a honing operation to keep coating build-up at the cutting edge to a minimum, typically .001 to .002 radius. On light duty machines, feed rates per tooth should be low. With honed inserts, using a feed of .001 to .002 simply produces rapid wear, high heat, potential work hardening, and significant burrs.
Also, all of these TPG inserts work great in a standard or make your type tool holder for turning, facing or boring.

Good Luck,
Make something neat this weekend!
Gary

Using a face mill with TPG style insert which I use, I can get the feed rates up fairly high to where chatter is minimum or non-existence and get a nice finish. I cut a lot of heat treated steels and coated inserts are a plus. My mill is a Index 645, equivalent to a Bridgeport or clone. I don't have any experience using a RF 25 mill so I cannot relate. I can say with a no. 3 Morse taper spindle, chatter can be an issue, and will limit you to cutter size you can use. I would suggest getting a face mill of no larger than 2" or 50mm. A 1-1/2" or 35mm face mill would be a better fit in my opinion for your mill. Don't be afraid to feed it all you can by hand to establish a optimum feed rate. I do this quite often on my mill when dealing with a new materials.

It is nice to have members like Gary to chime in and help out! Thanks for the great advice!!! you even help old crusted people like me! Ken

Guys - thanks to your advise, I've now got (thanks to eBay) a 50mm / 2" four flute kennemetal face mill - ex British Ministry of Defence, never used - for £35... and some SDET1204PDERGB KC920M inserts, as they too where cheap (£15 for 5!) and something to start off with.

It cuts like a dream. I couldn't believe the finish it gave me on both aluminium and mild steel.

Now to get rid of the other face mill! :big grin:

Jason:

Good choice! Glad you found a cutter and inserts to fit your machine! Sounds like you already have confidence in your process and that is important.

Good Luck, Gary

Back