Using Harbor Freight press with Swag brake in the way

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have found it obnoxious to give up my ability to use my 20 ton hydraulic press when it is occupied by my Swag finger brake. As useful as the brake is, it is tiresome to have to uninstall it every time the press is needed as a press.

I'm currently fixing this problem. If you have a winch installed to raise and lower the deck, as I do, my fix is to lower the existing deck (table) way down, and fabricate a second deck from a length of channel. It can be quickly inserted above the brake in the frame and used for pressing. The second deck can be made as sturdy as necessary for the pressing you intend to do. Use a wooden block to raise the pressing surface as needed. I'm using 4" x 7.25 channel, which is in the process of being delivered. See drawing below:

lower brake.jpg

This might inspire me to make a simple shelf at the bottom for my SWAG brake (I use the press without the brake more than with).

It looks like you've made a number of improvements to your press - so have I, but mine aren't nearly so elegant. I may steal that bearing guide concept...

GsT

I like the concept, but that new deck will not be nearly as strong with the channel in that orientation. Channel is much stronger in the vertical orientation.

Ted

I have an older, USA, factory-made 25-ton press. The "table" is two U-channels like the HF press, except that they are long enough to extend slightly past the vertical frames. They are connected to each other using two pieces of redi-rod on each end, with nuts inside and outside the U-channels to hold them in proper position. If I were to tack weld the inner nuts, I could take the outer nuts off the front U-channel and remove the "table." Then, if I bolted the SWAG brake to only the rear U-channel, it could be slid off onto a shelf if it otherwise would get in the way.

This takes more material, but allows more adjustability, and also to clear below a new "table" made with the bolted design. BTW, since the bolts are inside the verticals, the "table" can be removed and replaced by pulling the pins and tipping one end low enough to angle it and pull it out of the frame. Actually, both can be removed that way, but the weight of the SWAG brake makes it difficult.

The use of a spacer block would disperse the load, while keeping the new table reasonably light. Of course, the table could be constructed to any degree of rigidity.

spacer block.jpg

I was going to go the shelf route too. Winch the table down to the bottom, slide it towards you onto a shelf sitting on the “feet” then winch it back up where you need it. Right now I’m lifting it and setting it on the ground. Ugh! That thing’s heavy AF.

For any who may want to do something like this to their Harbor Freight press, here are some specifics about the parts used:

The brackets to be welded to the ends of the channel were CNC plasma-cut from 1/4" mild steel. The diagram below shows the dimensions. The 22 1/4" long channel is 4" wide, with 1.72" legs, and .321" web thickness. This is commonly referred to as 4 x 7.25 channel since it weighs 7.25 lbs. per foot. The two pins are 13/16" diameter, and 6" long. Shaft collars on one end will keep them from inadvertently slipping through the hole.

While heavier 4 x 13.8 channel is available, I didn't think I needed it or the extra weight for my purposes, as most of the time a 22" length of 6 x 6 will be on top of it.

brackets.JPG bracket drawing.jpg

I bought another HF press when it was on sale and dedicated it to the SWAG brake. I have enough room in the fab shop for that. I'm planning a modification to lock the travel so I can remove and replace the jack easily. I use the air jack to work on trucks and equipment, and don't want to buy another just to sit in the "press brake."

Back