Using dies

Cutting threads with dies is a high pressure situation. Sulfur bearing cutting fluid works well for this.

Uh, we're machinists and tool makers not scientists...

It's probably in the geometry of the thread cutting surfaces. Perhaps Mikey can help on this.

Hex dies are chasing/re-threading dies. Round dies are threading dies.

First time I've heard of this. I've been using hex dies to cut new threads for decades and have not had a problem. I have used thread chasing dies but they are labelled as such.

Some not all rethreading dies have staggered teeth in them so they do a better job of repairing buggered up threads on bolts and parts. Usually they never come with a wrench in the sets. I'd keep an eye on craigslist or eBay and some auction sites . Greenfield is a great old maker. Union, butterfield another , most any of the old USA sets are the best.
Recently I saw a very big complete set in my area that if I remember was under $200 .

Greenfield ok junior set looks like both sae metric up to 1" with up to 3 sizes of dies its number 4700
Craigslist in NJ # 647-461-4220
Marlton $260.

Last edited:
I know the definition of them, what is the science?

Fixed size thread restoring dies cannot be opened up to take a first cut on an awkward material on which it may otherwise be very difficult to get a thread started, otherwise there is little difference, I have ground a slot in HSS Hex dies and used them like normal split dies, using my skill and judgement to expand them as required ;-)

Thanks to all for the help, advice, suggestions, and links. It was all very helpful!

Back