Using Concrete to build a Lathe?

https://www.engineeringforchange.or...d-war-i-technology-meets-21st-century-design/

^It's been done before^

I have not made a concrete lathe but I have seriously considered doing it in the past and done plenty of homework on the topic (forgot most of it, that was a while back). The conclusion that I walked away with from my research is that a concrete lathe should be completely viable as long as adjustments are designed into every axis of it. Concrete cures very slowly, over months and years, and the dimensions change. What was square yesterday might not be square next month, and might need adjustments. The ways, the headstock, everything, needs to be completely adjustable.

I skipped to part 5 where he actually starts cutting and he needs a lot more rigidity but I don't think the concrete is the problem

I skipped to part 5 where he actually starts cutting and he needs a lot more rigidity but I don't think the concrete is the problem

He had much better results than I expected! I do see what you mean on rigidity. Seems mostly correctable with improvements. Only having 2 thou run out on the spindle was exceptional considering the parts used.

Back