Us Navy Course

lawman

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
New here. I have no metal working tools or experience, but I am interested. I built cabinets in a past life and turned a lot of writing pens. So, while waiting on permission from the captain to get a lathe or such, I thought I would at least read up on things. I have the US Navy Machinist's course in pdf. Is it worth the read?

TIA
-mark

Wow. Okay so this course has nothing to do with metal work. o_O Guess I'll be moving along then.

-mark

Patience, Grasshopper. Rome wasn't built in an hour and a half.

Tom

Rich, Thank you so much! I will take a look.
and Tom you are so right.

-mark

Welcome to the forum & addiction. Warning: The machine is just the start of it. You'll linked spend more in tooling & stock then the machine.

We have some members from Texas. Maybe hook up with one & watch them turn the dials.

Yea, it's kind of misleading. Mac Mates don't do the machine work the name would have you believe. Look for a Machinery Repairman 3&2 course. It's probably still worth reading through, though.

Hi All,
New here. I have no metal working tools or experience, but I am interested. I built cabinets in a past life and turned a lot of writing pens. So, while waiting on permission from the captain to get a lathe or such, I thought I would at least read up on things. I have the US Navy Machinist's course in pdf. Is it worth the read?

TIA
-mark

Hi Mark!

If it is the PDF for the actual machinist rating, then YES, it is well worth your time! After having the shop on ship make us a pump impeller shaft for a water brake, I was wishing I had gone into that rating instead of AB-E.

In the years since then I've spoken with two other military machinists, one Army and one Air Force. When I told both I was a machinist, both puffed up a bit and said "I'm a machinist in the Army/Air Force." I replied "Wish I'd done that when I was in the Navy."

BOTH of them said "Those Navy machinists really know what they're doing!"

Well, if you survived the pen turning habit, you may do okay here! (I am also a penturner) Same things apply, and it is just as slippery a slope :)

Back