Urgent Assistance Needed - PM-727M

Chad, there's a manual on line that according to Greg at Matt's is "better than the one that came with the lathe". I haven't had a chance to look a the bearings on the parts list in this "new" manual, but I know that all the bearings I've seen with the gear box open are sealed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was hoping that someone else would see that too. I've never come across a sealed tapered roller bearing either. Still a question for Matt and the gang, might be wrong parts listed? The Grizzly mill that is similar lists the same bearing numbers also.

I was looking at the online manual. That is why I'm confused. It says exactly what was referenced and then shows tapered roller bearings on the parts schematic in addition to a couple of sealed bearings that are inside of the mill head. I think Lee is correct in that all of the bearings "inside" of the mill head are sealed. The tapered roller bearings are supposed to be up inside the quill.

All of that rust looking stuff screams fretting corrosion. Look for misalignment.....

I've got everything back together and it seems to be working fine now. I didn't find anything internal that was an apparent issue; however, upon reassembly the 1,2,3 knob has a bit more travel and seems to "seat" better than it did from the factory. The gear box is not making the same sound (good or bad) that it originally did either. I'm pretty much convinced now that the lock ups came from the 1,2,3 change gears not properly messing. I cleaned the motor shaft and the receiver socket it fits in very good and coated with a generous amount of lithium grease before reassembly.

Back