Urgent Assistance Needed - PM-727M

L

lpeedin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Something happened in my gear box today that didn't sound good at all.

The machine locked up tight and blew the fuse before I could get to the OFF switch.

1) I've drained the oil and did not find any metal shaving or chips that might indicate a stripped gear.
2) To get to the back 2 of the 6 bolts holding the gear case cover on, the motor will have to be removed.
3) I have disconnected the motor wiring (took a pix first).
4) I have tilted the entire head assembly 90 degrees to the right so I could get a better hold on the motor.
5) Hex head screws that mount the motor down have been removed.
6) Removed the draw bar bearing retention ring as it looked like it might interfere with the motor mounting flange

Motor pulled loose approximated .020", but I can not get it to move any more. Motor will rotate freely until its mounting flange bumps the housing for the drawbar bearings.

Is the motor going to have to be disassembled before it can be removed?

I'd really like to get the gear case open before giving Matt a call.

I have a 727 but can't answer your question. I'd ask Matt your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem calling Matt, except for the fact that I am inside a metal building with no cell signal. I'd have to go outside to make the call and would not be able to be at the machine while we are talking.

Was hoping someone else may have experienced this and would share.

I had to replace the motor on my PM-727 this fall due melted wiring, due to loose screws. After I took the four screws out of the motor plate it lifted straight off. There is a key that is on the motor shaft that is loose. I also remember that I had to lift the motor up very straight or it would bind. Hope this helps.

I had to replace the motor on my PM-727 this fall due melted wiring, due to loose screws. After I took the four screws out of the motor plate it lifted straight off. There is a key that is on the motor shaft that is loose. I also remember that I had to lift the motor up very straight or it would bind. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I just talked with Greg at Matt's place and he said basically the same thing; however, mine simply will not lift off. Guess it's time to go with the wedges and force it which is basically what Greg agreed I'd have to do. :-(

I do remember watching a video on YouTube where a guy was doing a CNC conversion and he had to pry it up. like I said earlier mine lifted off fairly easy. The motor shaft did look a bit rusty though, could that be an issue?

Well, I see why mine didn't just lift right off. Either it was covered in Lock-Tite or dipped in salt water before assembly. At least it is off now and hopefully not damaged internally.

Guess I'll see what's in the gear box now.
motor_shaft.jpg

Mr Peedin ...I can't help but I look forward to your videos on what went wrong and how to fix it.

DrAsus

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see what happened, not that I wish trouble on anyone. I'm sure Matt will take care of you.

Stupid question does the motor turn? How about the head, can you change gears or rotate it? Another silly thought did the setscrew for the collets back out and wedge the spindle?

Back