Urethane bushing trick for squeaking

guero_gordo

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for replacement bushings for my radiator support, prolly do the cab and bed while I'm at it.
Urethane is a superior material, BUT, lotsa folks complain that those squeak, so they go with black rubber and just replace them every few years.
With all the other noises my truck makes, I'm not sure a few squeaks will matter, but it made me wonder and I came across this.
I haven't tried this, but it makes sense.

Last edited:
Every polyurethane bushing kit I’ve installed comes with a special waterproof grease that you smear in/on the bushings to prevent the “squeaks”.

Works great, but is absolute h-e-doubke hockey sticks to get off your hands Because its not effected by water…

Installed urethane bushings in my risers on my Harley. If it's squeaking I can't hear them. Then again they don't suffer the movement of swingarms.

Every polyurethane bushing kit I’ve installed comes with a special waterproof grease that you smear in/on the bushings to prevent the “squeaks”.

Works great, but is absolute h-e-doubke hockey sticks to get off your hands Because its not effected by water…
Now you know why the guys on TV are wearing gloves.

I installed them on my ‘88 Beretta front end back in the day. The kit came with that sticky silicone grease! It held up for many many years.
Pierre

I've got polyurethane bushings on my truck, UCAs, LCAs, leaf springs, & sway bar. None of mine squeak as long as I grease them regularly, I use the tacky grease meant for use with poly bushings. I've tried other standard NGLI2 greases in the past, squeaking will come back in less than 2 weeks.

Energy Suspension, Daystar, & Prothane all sell the special grease. I have a tub of the ES Formula5 but I only use it during assembly since it doesn't come in grease gun tubes. Manually filling a grease gun with Formula5 will not be fun cause the grease is so very tacky. I mainly buy/use the Daystar Lubrathane since it comes in mini grease gun tubes & is what I use to grease my suspension zerks. Prothane sells the full size grease gun tubes. Stuff is expensive but well worth it.

For a radiator bushing that's just for support, I wouldn't even think to lube it since it does not "move" like a suspension bushing unless the manufacturer calls for it. Like my steering rack bushings that are just for support, they are poly but I've never put grease on them, they have never squeaked. I'm on my 3rd set too.

Rubber hockey pucks are very versatile!

interesting comparison of reports on "the grease". Folks whining about "constantly" having to reapply the stuff doesn't gibe with going several years between applications. So hard to parse internet info ;-)

interesting comparison of reports on "the grease". Folks whining about "constantly" having to reapply the stuff doesn't gibe with going several years between applications. So hard to parse internet info ;-)
Thing is, internet info is (at best) only the starting point.

I take it for what I paid for it and if it leads me to a valid solution, great! If I check it out on my own and it seems like its not going to work, nothing lost but a little bit of reading/researching time. Research time is never wasted by the way. Even if it doesn’t work out you at least learn something new.

“I didn’t fail 100 times to create the light bulb, I learned 100 ways how not to make a light bulb”

You also have to be careful if you use the internet to verify internet information. A guy can jump on one forum and say something “not exactly correct“ and then repost that information on a multitude of similar sites, making it seem like more than one person is giving out the same info….even if it might not be right.…

Last edited:
Back