Upgrading my LMS 5200 to the PM 1030

lphoto

Registered
Registered
I have an LMS 5200 that is just really too small and lightweight for what I'm doing. I'm a bespoke penmaker and depend on the lathe to be accurate within 1 thousandth and the LMS just isn't heavy or accurate enough to do the job.

I'm looking at the PM 1030 but I'm having issues getting information on how I can attach a collet chuck to it. I emailed tech support but the best response I got was it was a DIN 55027 55022 mount, which really didn't tell me anything. That appears to be some sort of German standard specification but information seems to be very limited.

In short, I'm looking for a collet chuck setup that will attach to the PM 1030 that won't break the bank. I don't care if it is ER32 (preferred) ER40 or 5C as long as it spins true. I have the 4" collet chuck that LMS sells installed on the 5200 and it works great but no one seems to know if it is compatible without having a custom plate made or whatever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you need the stock to pass thru the spindle?
If no, then the PM1030v has an MT4 taper in the spindle then you just need a ER32 chuck and they are reasonable.

1604004299146.png

Do you need the stock to pass thru the spindle?
If no, then the PM1030v has an MT4 taper in the spindle then you just need a ER32 chuck and they are reasonable.

Yes, the stock needs to pass through the spindle, thus the reason for the 1030. I would upgrade to the newest LMS 7550 but it only has a .78 inch pass through and the stock I use is often larger than that.

If you already know you want to use a different chuck, it might be worth considering the 1127 or 1228. They both have D1-4 mounts that are easy to find compatible chucks for. I think PM sells back plates for the 1030, you would need to adapt it to match your collet chuck though.

So much for Plan 'A'. . .
How about this and mount it to the Face Plate that comes with the lathe?

If you already know you want to use a different chuck, it might be worth considering the 1127 or 1228. They both have D1-4 mounts that are easy to find compatible chucks for. I think PM sells back plates for the 1030, you would need to adapt it to match your collet chuck though.
I've considered the 1127 but that is really a lot more lathe than I would ever need. In addition, the extra 250-300 pounds would make it difficult to move by myself. I'm also trying to stay as close to my $3000-$3200 budget as possible with shipping, since I will need additional tooling.

So much for Plan 'A'. . .
How about this and mount it to the Face Plate that comes with the lathe?

That is the chuck I have but I'm not familiar with how the face plate is setup so wasn't sure what would need to be done to adapt it. That would be my preference since I already have the chuck and all the collets. I'm fairly new in the metal lathe world (just over a year) so it's been a learning process.

That is the chuck I have but I'm not familiar with how the face plate is setup so wasn't sure what would need to be done to adapt it. That would be my preference since I already have the chuck and all the collets. I'm fairly new in the metal lathe world (just over a year) so it's been a learning process.
Mount the face plate on the lathe.
Check with an indicator to be sure it is 'true', if not then take a skim pass on it.
Make register (witness) marks on the face plate and the spindle so that it is always mounted the same way.
Place the ER32 chuck onto the face plate, line it up, clamp it down, tweak a bit more if necessary, transfer the (3) mounting holes.
Transferring the hole layout onto the face plate will take some thought since the slots in the face plate are @45° and the mounting holes are @120°.
Drill and tap for the mounting screws. Mount chuck.
(Optional) drill and ream the chuck and face plate for (2) 1/4" dowel pins after the chuck has been indicated in and tightened down. This would ensure that it doesn't shift with just the mounting screws holding it.

Keep in mind that the 1030 lathe spindle bore is most likely slightly less than 1" . I have the 1022 and I cannot get a 1" bar through it even though it says it has a 1 inch bore.

What would really work out well for what work you are doing would be a Hartinge lathe. They are accurate and set up to work with a 5C collet. Small fine work is what they excel at.

Back