Upgrade

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm thinking on upgrading to a bigger, more modern lathe.

To that end, to free up shop space, and acquire some cash I must part with my 1925 South Bend Eleven. It is in very good shape, everything works and it comes with a complement of accessories.

Would a price of $2,500 be reasonable? I would put it on CL.

It really depends on condition, accessories and how machine rich or poor your area is. In the Midwest your lathe without accessories in good condition would be worth $800 max. On the upper east coast where there are lots of used South Bend lathes available even less. There have been several post WW2 11" machines sold on Ebay recently for under $800 but they were on the east coast.

CL is free to post so maybe just go ahead and post it, see what you get. Can always lower it.

CL is free to post so maybe just go ahead and post it, see what you get. Can always lower it.

That's what I'm going to do.

I'm thinking $2,500. 00 is high but every one on CL likes to bargain. I'd be happy with anything over $1,200.00

That's what I'm going to do.

I'm thinking $2,500. 00 is high but every one on CL likes to bargain. I'd be happy with anything over $1,200.00

That is the thing to do and I'd hold the offer high for a while. It will go down the list with several days but wait abut a week between reposts to put it at the top again so as not to appear too eager to sell. The words "South Bend Lathe" get people excited so expect to have many calls even with the price. Take names and numbers with the offers saying you are waiting for a full offer or at least a better offer than they say.

This is pay off day for owning a South Bend over almost any other manual home type lathe so be sure to get paid. And the next guy will be very happy with it.

That is the thing to do and I'd hold the offer high for a while. It will go down the list with several days but wait abut a week between reposts to put it at the top again so as not to appear too eager to sell. The words "South Bend Lathe" get people excited so expect to have many calls even with the price. Take names and numbers with the offers saying you are waiting for a full offer or at least a better offer than they say.

This is pay off day for owning a South Bend over almost any other manual home type lathe so be sure to get paid. And the next guy will be very happy with it.

Good ideas. I'll have no problem getting paid: Brown Bag Cash on the headstock or it doesn't travel.

I'm thinking on replacing it with one of the Grizzly gunsmith lathes. Thoughts?

It really depends on condition, accessories and how machine rich or poor your area is. In the Midwest your lathe without accessories in good condition would be worth $800 max. On the upper east coast where there are lots of used South Bend lathes available even less. There have been several post WW2 11" machines sold on Ebay recently for under $800 but they were on the east coast.

+10.

Too many people have absurd ideas of the value of their machines. There was a thread a while back about shapers, and some of the offering prices were not just nuts, they were delusional. Usually, this is limited to the antiquers and non-machinists.

Fortunately, it's easy to check on what things actually sell for (on e-bay, at least).

I fully agree with the comments above, having bought several similar vintage machines over the years. Last SB 13 of that age, in generally good condition, cost me about 600 bucks, perhaps 20 years ago, in Wisconsin.

+10.

Too many people have absurd ideas of the value of their machines. There was a thread a while back about shapers, and some of the offering prices were not just nuts, they were delusional. Usually, this is limited to the antiquers and non-machinists.

Fortunately, it's easy to check on what things actually sell for (on e-bay, at least).

I fully agree with the comments above, having bought several similar vintage machines over the years. Last SB 13 of that age, in generally good condition, cost me about 600 bucks, perhaps 20 years ago, in Wisconsin.

I put it up in three different areas for $2,500.00. I doubt it will sell at that but I'm in no hurry. Easier to lower the price than raise it.

Sold it today for $2,500.00 without a quibble.

I paid $1,500.00 five years ago and learned on it. I'll be sad to see the old girl go down the driveway. She was my first and only...

Back