Unusual measuring tools

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
I dont know why, but I can,t get those PDF things to open.

I'll save you some hassle. :)

A little small but still sort of readable. :p :)

Odd indeed.

-Ron

I have a few unusual measuring tools myself, some of which I would like to trade for some more common useable measuring tools.

Amprobe recorder.JPG Hamilton Watch co. Hand Guage.JPG RalMikes Toolarama (2).JPG RalMikes Toolarama.JPG

If any others have seen anything they feel should be added then send me a picture (and perhaps a short text) and I'll add it on. Life is too short to reinvent the wheel :)

Gordon

I don't have any photos, but how about adding Taper Micrometers and Thread Micrometers.

Thanks for posting pics. of the unusual tools, things here I've never seen or heard of. A question to anyone familiar to some of these tools: are some of them made to order for a company for a specific job, or type of job, or are they commonly available if one looks specifically for them? The taper mics. and the odd-flute mic. as example.

The three mics in the blue case in my post above are taper mics.

Aha. I've learned something. I didn't know they made INTERNAL taper micrometers. I was thinking of EXTERNAL taper micrometers. You'll have to explain how they work. For what size holes / what is the intended taper to be measured with these? I"ve never seen either in the flesh, only photos. They're so small, I'm thinking they're for MT-1 or less, or something like a Jarno taper for machine assembly.

Internal Taper Micrometers RalMikes Toolarama.JPG

Thanks for the mention, Gordon. I've used circumference tapes [here we call them "pi" tapes] a bunch over the years. I worked at the Bingham-Willamette Co. in Portland, OR, where I used pi tapes to measure parts for one of the service tunnel boring machines used on the Eurotunnel job, up to 18 feet in dia. on a Betts vertical boring mill. For anyone not familiar, a pi tape is marked so that each inch is ~3.14 inches long, wrapping it around a round part reads the diameter. I see Stanley is putting them on the back of at least some of their measuring tapes, very handy for me at home working with pipe or tubing of fairly large size. Obtainable accuracy varies, with the high end ones making .010" tolerance easy on 20 foot dias., the ones on the Stanley tapes goes by 64ths, Lufkin's goes to .01", are plenty close enough for what I need. I fairly recently learned that a lot of people not used to running large machines don't know about pi tapes, handy tool.

Don't know how I came up twice, but can't delete completely, sorry for the clutter.
Larry

Back