Unknown tooling, should I invest?

Pass.

Also I think you may be misusing that word “invest”. Most of us around here are just burning money on fun. Lol

Pass.

Also I think you may be misusing that word “invest”. Most of us around here are just burning money on fun. Lol
Well, if you were to purchase a smaller beginner mill/tooling what would it be. Shop has 120/220 volt . Advise on what to "waste" money on, lol

My opinion is the seller is simply trolling for stupid ill informed people.

That would be a terrible purchase. You could buy a heck of a lot of useful cutters (NEW) for $1250.

I especially like how he takes great care not to damage any of those fine cutting tools . . . NOT.

Whew, I almost thought it was Dave's ad. :rolleyes: :grin: :grin: :grin:
I bought used practice bits from Ebay, but I will never buy used bits from them for my machines unless they were professionally reground. Those will not be original diameter though, I'm sure Dave has an assortment of good bits he can find if he can remember which house, barn, Vidmar to look in.:)

Last edited:
I too would say hard pass. I've had pretty good luck locally with some CL “machine shop going out of biz” sales where I could inspect each piece. I can’t imagine needing that big of a collection. With a Shars Deckel clone tool grinder and a small collection of end mills and tooling you could put that $1200 to way better use and never be caught with a dull bit again.

Well, if you were to purchase a smaller beginner mill/tooling what would it be. Shop has 120/220 volt . Advise on what to "waste" money on,
Now that’s a loaded question!
You have an atlas lathe, yeah? So here’s a suggestion. Spend 30 bucks on some lathe projects books. Go through them and find some projects you want to tackle. Now you have a shopping list. Buy what you need for that project. A quarter pound of high speed steel cutting bits will last a very long time, can be sharpened on a regular bench grinder, and cost near nothing.
And this goes against some others advice probably, but I really try to never buy tooling because I think I might use it later. It’ll just pile up and be in the way. Buy what you need when you need it for a specific purpose.
If you want a small mill, I would say there’s quite a few options. But I’m not sure that’s what you meant. Doing a forum search for “milling machine recommendations” should provide hours of opinions on that subject.

Back