Unimat SL/DB Tool Post, Plagiarized

Only reason I noticed the screw spacing is cuz on my DB I used to grind my bits down so far they were too short for both screws to capture
and I had to use just one, so having the screws out toward the edge was an advantage. Tales of a penny-pincher LOL
I knew when I punched the first hole that i was off, so I stuck to the error!
Truth be told, i was (overly) concerned over blowing out the corners .
my concerns were incorrect-the steel is indeed sufficient to drill and tap close to an edge.
I learned to trust the material, if nothing else

Oh yeah, you didn't have to worry- my rule of thumb is half the diameter to the edge, and often you can go even closer
You should see the capscrews on mine- they've been tightened so many hundreds of times the threads look like saw teeth.

Last edited:
Way, waayyy back when I was first introducing myself to my DB-200, (~1969, age 18 by a month or two) I acquired the machine from a pawn shop with no instructions, no tooling, and no idea about handling the machine. My only experience was setting up a neighbor's 6 inch Craftsman. I wasn't allowed to run it, just set it up.

Since I was stationed on a ship, the ship's machinist was quite helpful in both knowledge and looking the other was as I acquired some basic tooling. The machine didn't have a toolpost when I acquired it, the machinist made one for me. With no diagram, he made one very similar to that pictured but with a "half moon" rocker in the bottom so the tool could be rotated up or down a little. Petty Officer Hall, if you are still alive, my hat's off to you, Sir. He was nearing 20 years when I met him.

The rocker was similar, albeit much smaller, to the lantern post on my 12 inch Craftsman. The two screws were, I think, 1/4-28. In those days, metric wasn't accepted at all. And Hall was an old timer in his thoughts. Otherwise, it was quite usable, and most importantly, shimless. I could use scrounged, useless, and not necessarily square tooling.

That last is the reason for my post, that there was a rocker on the shop made tool post, a quite important addition. I sold the DB-200 when I got a bigger machine, a 9 X 19 Asian, that would cut threads. (Grizzly G1550) And since the '80s have advanced even farther.

several years back I ebayed a quick change tool holder for my SL ,, the unit came with a selection of tool and boaring bar holders (plus a dremel holder) after gaining a bunch of micro cutters I contacted the seller an cut a deal for some blank holders that I could drill and tap as needed.. unit has worked well..

Back