Unimat grinding wheel source? & Best type of grinding wheel for HSS cutting tools?

Pinresto

Active User
Registered
Does anyone make a grinding wheel that fits the unimat? I want to buy a grinding wheel to learn how to make my own HSS cutting tools. I have a bench grinder but I'd like to have one for my lathe also.

Does anyone make a grinding wheel that fits the unimat? I want to buy a grinding wheel to learn how to make my own HSS cutting tools. I have a bench grinder but I'd like to have one for my lathe also.

Why would you want to do that? That's what bench grinders are for. If you grind on your Unimat you'll get grit on the machine. Not the best scenario. You can learn to grind tool bits on your bench grinder just as well maybe better.
Ron

Not only the grit as mention. Your Unimat spindle will not turn fast enough for small diameter grinding wheels to work efficiently. And your belts won’t like the load/torque and high speed on them and will break prematurely.

Your already taking your machine to Turkey, you might as well buy a mini HF bench grinder to do with it. Hopefully they don't get stolen.

Your unimat does not go fast enough for grinding, and you WILL ruin it grinding on it.

Back