Unheated garage

Archer60x

Registered
Registered
Hello! i have my PM728VT on order.

Any tips for keeping a mill in an attached, but unheated garage? I have a propane heater i turn on when working so that raises the temprature for the hours i am working then everything cools back down to outside temps.

So here in Ohio we go from hot and humid to below freezing.

I have a tiny dehumidifer and i keep a fan on as those have seemed to help prevent surface rust of other tools.

Anything else i should think about doing?

Thanks!

Before I had heat in my garage, I used Fluid Film on bare metal and also found a ceiling fan running all the time helped
I am planning on spraying my car with the PB Blaster product that is competing with Fluid Film. I should pick up a few cans and see what it is like. I have not used those products.

Just use ATF, such as Dexron, to coat the exposed surfaces. Also, some sort of sheet to drape over the machine reduces condensation. Of coarse, this is all in periods of non-use.
When I worked on the Florida coast, we would keep a can with ATF & a mop type brush for application when machines were idle.

I think if you intend to keep your shop in the garage over time it’s going to need heat and insulation at the very least. You’re probably also going to need to increase the size of your dehumidifier and add some fans to keep the air circulating. I live in Wisconsin and started out in an attached garage.

It didn’t take long to figure out it wasn’t working out well. Even though it is well insulated has a whole house ceiling mounted exhaust fan, and has heat available for the winters the snowy winters and warm spring days were hard on the machines. When the heat was on while working snow was melting off the cars and water was running all over the place. When a door was open only a few minutes it took an hour to warm the place up again.

On warm spring days the machines were sweating so bad it was like being in a rain storm. I spent more time trying to keep the machines from deteriorating due to the weather than actually using them

The shop only lasted 2 years in the garage before I moved everything to the basement. It’s much nicer not to have to deal with the snow and continually changing temperature.

You’re probably going to have to deal with similar weather situations.

Last edited:
I keep a light on under my lathe. Yes. Incandescent. Keeps the lathe only a degree or two above ambient, that is well above the dew point.

Still doesn't do anything when the warm, wet Gulf cost air pushes the cold northern air out of the way. The frigid machines do their best to pull all the water out of the air. I've trained my wife to keep the door closed. All I had to do is reminder how much the machines are worth, and show her what happens.

This is what i am afraid of also projectnut. The cycling of heat/cold is going to cause condensation. I dont have a garage door. It has been replaced with insulated wall and 36" person door. I have one wall that is cement block exposed to air. The other walls have earth on the other side or attached to the house.

I would love to do radiant heat in the floor, but i would have to bust up the concrete.

It wont take much to keep the room at like 60 degrees year round. I have a window i should replace with a double pane as it is single.

Summer i will just have to keep fans on and de-humidifer as i dont see myself pumping in AC for a one car garage size room.

I could run a natrual gas line out there for heat...

OK, i will stick a thermometer out there and see what temps i currently have.

THanks!

This is what i am afraid of also projectnut. The cycling of heat/cold is going to cause condensation. I dont have a garage door. It has been replaced with insulated wall and 36" person door. I have one wall that is cement block exposed to air. The other walls have earth on the other side or attached to the house.

I would love to do radiant heat in the floor, but i would have to bust up the concrete.

It wont take much to keep the room at like 60 degrees year round. I have a window i should replace with a double pane as it is single.

Summer i will just have to keep fans on and de-humidifer as i dont see myself pumping in AC for a one car garage size room.

I could run a natrual gas line out there for heat...

OK, i will stick a thermometer out there and see what temps i currently have.

THanks!

What’s worse is that your propane heater will put a mess of water vapor in the air turning a nuisance into a real problem.

Find an alternative heat source.

Back