Understanding Grinding wheels and the difference-example

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was watching a Youtube-This Old Tony. He said his go to wheel for just about everything is a Norton, Ceramic 5SG46-JVS
This converts to
Hardness-J
Ceramic
Grade Course
Grit 46
Type 1
rpm 3600
Blue
Vitrified
Coarse
Medium hardness

I bought it I love it. It's balanced!! The finish I got on hardened A2 is good, cast iron surface plate-like is outstanding!!

Question for you,

When would I use a close second?
3SGR60-HVP2

Translates to
Hardness H
ceramic
Medium
60 grit
Type 1
Purple
Vitrified
Medium
Soft hardness
Porous
Wet-dry

Please give examples of why you would use one over the other?
I did take a final .001" and spark out using a close grain, 100 grit J wheel on the surface plate-cast iron and the finish is like a mirror.
So, I did learn if you are just taking off less than .001 the finer grit can produce amazing finishes but they would load up super quick.
Thanks,
Just trying to open the door to this mystery.

I use coarse wheels for nearly all purposes, it is the way they are dressed that gives free cutting for roughing and fine finishing. On my 12 X 36 Thompson surface grinder at my shop, I used A.P. DeSanno "Porosway" wheels they have a very open structure, so they do not load up like more dense wheels; I was told that they mixed sawdust particle with the abrasive and it burned away in firing, leaving the open structure.

The prices quoted are breathtaking! Good thing that I do not need any!

Jeff, what are you using the A2 steel for?
I can't remember what I bought it for. I made some hold downs for my machinists vise for the rotary table. (This is what I practiced on) I don't have many hardened pieces laying around I can play with.
At the time, I thought A2 would be an easy alternative to oil or water quench.
You must remember, I know not of what I do.
I'm getting better though :)

I don’t even have a surface grinder... yet.
But I’ve been watching a lot of videos and tooling up on accessories for when the day comes. Anyway, this guy has some excellent grinding videos. He also mentions someone else in a lot of his videos. Stan I think. But not sure at the moment.
Anyway, in some of his other videos he mentioned that usually he gets better finishes with course grinding stones.
Solid Rock Maching.

I don’t even have a surface grinder... yet.
But I’ve been watching a lot of videos and tooling up on accessories for when the day comes. Anyway, this guy has some excellent grinding videos. He also mentions someone else in a lot of his videos. Stan I think. But not sure at the moment.
Anyway, in some of his other videos he mentioned that usually he gets better finishes with course grinding stones.
Solid Rock Maching.
Yeah,
Steve is a real pro for sure.

Back