Undermounted motor ?

Waterworks

Registered
Registered
I have an Atlas 12" 3983 with no stand or bench yet, which I need to fabricate, does anyone have any info on how it would be set up for an under mounted variable speed motor so i can design a stand for it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I am by no means knowledgable of Atlas machines, I do remember where at least one had an undermount motor. In the days this was common, a variable speed motor was actually a variable ratio pulley arrangement. While I am "old school" and fully support rebuilding such an arrangement, finding the parts to begin with is going to be like searching for a treasure chest full of gold. Almost impossible this day and age, and expensive if you do find one. (assembly)

For all intents and purposes, my choice would be either a 3 phase motor with a VFD or a strong DC motor with speed control. Either one can be mounted below the machine as desired, or behind and/or above if suitable. I personally would build it behind the machine, below would serve just as well.

Starting with the footprint of a NEMA-56 motor, (single or 3 phase) that would provide all the relevant dimensions, including shaft size. At this point in the design stage, NEMA-56 dimensions would be all that is required to devise most any under or behind mount. There are 1 HP NEMA-56 motors, although for such a small machine 3/4 HP would be more suitable. Opting for a larger motor, the only dramatic change would be the frame size, its' NEMA specification. I run a much older Craftsman 12" (Atlas 10"). That machine was supplied with a 1/2 HP motor, I currently run a 1/3 HP NEMA-56 with no stalling. But I do light weight, mostly non-ferrous work.

One major consideration is some sort of countershaft in the drive system. Whether you opt fo 3 phase with a VFD or a DC motor, speed control will be in the range of 50-150% of motor base speed. Any operation outside those parameters will require some sort of gearing, most likely with belting.

I support any effort to find and use an OEM speed control, but the likelyhood is low.

Does your machine have the step spindle pulley or the underdrive pulley? - the standard cabinet Atlas has a two sheaf spindle pulley which
is small enough in diameter the twin belts can slip down between the ways to the countershaft below
-Mark

Does your machine have the step spindle pulley or the underdrive pulley? - the standard cabinet Atlas has a two sheaf spindle pulley which
is small enough in diameter the twin belts can slip down between the ways to the countershaft below
-Mark
It's got the rear mounted counter shaft and motor.

I converted my 12x42 to under drive. Quite a bit to it. Start reading here.

Best,
Kelly

The factory underdrive parts are not necessary in your case- I would do a custom install if you are planning a variable speed system.
Probably you could use just one of the step pulley grooves and run a single belt down to the motor

The lathe was originally a 3983 or the Craftsman equivalent. The 3983 was a bench model and had change gears instead of a QCGB. And it has a 4-step cone spindle pulley (same part number as on the 3/8" bed 10" and 12"). The several different cabinet versions of the lathe had the motor mounted under the top of the cabinet but had a 2-groove pulley on the spindle that was the same LOA as the cone pulley. The pulley diameter was about the same as the next to smallest groove on the cone pulley or maybe a little smaller. I happen to have some of the original parts for the way that it was. But they could not be used to implement an under drive installation as the bed is not wide enough for the spindle belt to run down through and out the bottom of the headstock.

If you want to build it as an under drive with a variable speed motor and no cone pulleys, the first thing that you need to find is one of the two-groove spindle pulleys to replace the 4-groove cone spindle pulley. However, you are going to have some difficulty with the motor as most of the time, it will be running at half speed or less. Probably require a 1 HP motor. It would be much simpler to build it back the way that it was originally, with the motor mounted behind the head stock.

Plus, you have the backgear to contend with- difficult at best

Yeah, especially not forgetting that the belts have to go in before the back gear, which must go in before the spindle. :oops:

Back