Ugly Duckling, Wilton Vise Restoration 2

It's in the queue to disassemble & clean....along with a host of other stuff. LOL - I think I'll move it up the list.
Thank you for the info - what kind of $ do these fetch? (not interested in selling it)

It's in the queue to disassemble & clean....along with a host of other stuff. LOL - I think I'll move it up the list.
Thank you for the info - what kind of $ do these fetch? (not interested in selling it)
Price varies with location, but cleaned up a bit I wouldn't sell that for less than around $500 in the current market.

yikes.. I guess people like these vises...
Thanks for your insight

Not highjack the thread (apologies) - but I literally pulled this out of a dumpster - G-Man - any insight on what this is?
No worries, pictures of other members vises are welcome. Just start a new thread, if you want to cover an entire rebuild. I can post a redirect here if you do.

Update:
I re-machined some of the vises surfaces. I also trued up the swivel base as I did in my previous restoration.
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 1 (2).jpegWilton 9350 Update 3  - 1 (2).jpegWilton 9350 Update 3  - 1 (1).jpeg
The anvil cleaned up nicely
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 1.jpeg
I started free-turning a new end cap. I hoped to get it close by eye, but I quickly realized I was way off.
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 2.jpeg
I wound up mounting it in the end bell and chucking up the whole shebang in the 4 jaw. Not only was the bell eccentric but the wall thickness where in meets the end cap varied in thickness, so I indicated it right at that meeting point, the end of the bell was only about .006" out of round!
Anyway it clearly showed how far off I was with the end cap.
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 3.jpeg
With the whole assembly turning together it was much easier to eye the curve and get the end cap meet flush with the bell.
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 4.jpeg
I started with the stock too long, while I could have kept going, I just got it to where I felt it looked good. the "End result" is pointer than a traditional Wilton.
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 6.jpeg
Further subassembly, ready for the vise body.
Wilton 9350 Update 3  - 7.jpeg
All ready for prime time!

Eddyde, GMan,
What would be the correct color for an early Wilton - the blueish / greenish hammered color? What color is going on your vise?
Source?

Last edited:
Eddyde, GMan,
What would be the correct color for an early Wilton - the blueish / greenish hammered color? What color is going on your vise?
Source?
I get asked this question a lot and there really isn't a good answer. I've had every generation of Wilton from 1941-1942 with original paint (and often stickers) and all were some variation of green with various amounts of blue and gray mixed in. The popular hammered Verde Green of the modern vises didn't come around until the 1970s. Prior to that it was a fairly flat green/gray/blue color that's hard to describe. One time I took parts from an original paint, original stickers vise that was from the late 1960s to a place that will color match and then put the paint in a rattle can. It was really close, but wasn't something they could duplicate as they spent half an hour adding stuff to the original mixture the computer spat out. That and a can wound up being over $25.

On top of all that, I have had more than one original paint, original stickers vise that were made within months of one another and the color wasn't the same. I couldn't attribute fading to either one as the stickers looked similar and not badly faded. My suspicion is Wilton used more than one supplier and they weren't picky about 100% recreation of the color all the time. The modern vises all seem to be the exact same color, but I suspect that's simply modern manufacturing making things easily repeatable.

Unfortunately, the only source of hammered Verde Green I'm aware of is Rustoleum and they haven't been making it for a couple of years now. People have claimed to contact them asking, and they've been told the color isn't discontinued, just temporarily not available as they're not able to produce all the colors...not sure if that's supply chain or labor shortages. The other day I looked at my local paint place and there were only two or three hammered Rustoleum paints on the shelf, so I don't think they singled out Verde Green.

The CO above wouldn't have had a metallic or hammered paint...it would be closer to olive drab, just a bit more blue to it really. I know that's not much of an answer, but I wish someone would find a color off the shelf that would be close for those vises from before the hammered VG started.

I painted my first Wilton vise with the Verde Gree,n Rust Oleum, Hammered finish. I think I might still have a can left over.

I painted my first Wilton vise with the Verde Gree,n Rust Oleum, Hammered finish. I think I might still have a can left over.
Any chance you want to sell it?

Back