U2 hub puller?

After getting the bolt really tight a rap with a hammer is sometimes required. ATV clutches and generator rotors come off the same way.
Yup, I’m familiar with tapered fits and whacked end of the bolt style puller hard enough the end of the shaft got slightly buggered. Must be kinda soft. That’s why I paused to make sure I’m not forgetting something. Rather than use a bolt puller for this first time to break it loose I think I’m going to make a special bolt with shoulder to save to end of the shaft and use my Chrysler hub puller and put the whack to it. And hope I don’t screw the whole thing up.

Has anybody pulled the grinder hub on your Deckel clone? Robin R. mentions making a puller for his clone but doesn’t show it :rolleyes:

The hub is threaded and I tried using the thread with a bolt to hopefully push against the end of the shaft, but no bueno. It being a tapered fit and never been off since I’ve had it I expected it to tough but wow. I’m scared I don’t have all the info right. I even took the wheel off put a puller on it pushing on a bolt into the end of the shaft and still no joy.
Hello,

I took a few pictures of my Shars U3 and the bolt I modified for hub extraction, the measurements on mine may be a little different than yours.

Keep in mind that mine was SUPER tight as well.

The first thing that was not so obvious was a way to lock the spindle shaft, the manual does not do a good job at explaining where it is so I just started removing screws until I found the hole in the shaft (See picture).
The next thing was to remove the locking M6 bolt and measure the depth of the hole from the hub face to the bottom of the spindle bore, then I measured one of my spare hubs so I would know how much of the threads I should remove from the modified M8 extraction bolt.

Note: make sure that there is a gap between the threads left on the M8 extraction bolt and the spindle nose! If you use a shoulder, you risk crunching the threads on the end M8 extraction bolt and that may cause some problems with removing the M8 extraction bolt from the hub.

I had to use a cheater bar on the allen wrench and I think I even give the allen wrench a good whack with a small hammer to crack the hub loose.

Here are a few pictures with notations and I hope this helps to show what you need to get your hub off for the first time.
Subsequent removal of the hub should be very easy compared to the first time.

All the best!

Joe

Attachments

• Spindle lock cover bolt.jpg
    Spindle lock cover bolt.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Spindle lock .jpg
    Spindle lock .jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Counterbore on tapered spindle.jpg
    Counterbore on tapered spindle.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Size of M8 bolt.jpg
    Size of M8 bolt.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 148
  • M8 bolt turned down to .175.jpg
    M8 bolt turned down to .175.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 143
  • M8 bolt turned down to .175 - Compared to M6 Bolt.jpg
    M8 bolt turned down to .175 - Compared to M6 Bolt.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Amount of threads to remove on M8 bolt.jpg
    Amount of threads to remove on M8 bolt.jpg
    973.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Spindle nose to M8 threads clearance.jpg
    Spindle nose to M8 threads clearance.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Extraction bolt stickout - in position for extraction of hub.jpg
    Extraction bolt stickout - in position for extraction of hub.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 142
  • Amount of threads to leave on M8 bolt.jpg
    Amount of threads to leave on M8 bolt.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 140
Thanks Joe! My U2 is slightly different but this is exactly the info I needed.

Back