U2 hub puller?

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anybody pulled the grinder hub on your Deckel clone? Robin R. mentions making a puller for his clone but doesn’t show it :rolleyes:

The hub is threaded and I tried using the thread with a bolt to hopefully push against the end of the shaft, but no bueno. It being a tapered fit and never been off since I’ve had it I expected it to tough but wow. I’m scared I don’t have all the info right. I even took the wheel off put a puller on it pushing on a bolt into the end of the shaft and still no joy.

THANKS BRINO! U da man. I swear I did a search but nothing came up.

....by the way, I have read here that they come super tight on some of the clones.
-brino

Aww geez, I see my reply’s on that thread. Talk about a senior moment......

....by the way, I have read here that they come super tight on some of the clones.
-brino
Mine was too, it's a Shars Unit.
I am inclined to think that the climate is hotter in the warehouse or building where these are assembled, then when they get here they are "Locked" on super tight since it's a taper. I'm almost willing to bet they aren't that tight when assembled.
I used an M8 bolt about 75mm long with about 35mm of threads end turned down so it would go all the way into the tapered shaft, it worked fine for getting the hub off, I still haven't made the "T" part yet.

I confirmed I was on the right track, but mine REALLY is on there. I’m going to make a better 8mm bolt to push on, maybe with a shoulder too. I also found my old puller that’s made specifically for pulling old Chrysler alternator pulleys fits that adapter perfectly. It is way heavy duty. I also sprayed inside of the hub with Red’s penetrating oil before I buttoned it back up. I had a endmill to grind so I didn’t want to take the tool grinder out of commission and be down two projects instead of one. Hopefully I’ll get back to pulling that thing before I forget like I realized when I posted this.

Thank you Brino, I need to make one also.
Thanks C-bag for reminding Brino to post the link.

LOL, you’re welcome.

So are you going to make one like Stefan’s?

After getting the bolt really tight a rap with a hammer is sometimes required. ATV clutches and generator rotors come off the same way.

Back