Twist work stops for CNC router tables

Analias

Active User
Registered
I'm looking for work stops I can install in the surface my CNC router work table that you give a twist and they pop up. Press down and twist and they lock below the surface of the work table. Anyone seen these, either for wood working or machining? I would use them for aligning the work on the CNC table to the axis/origin and if designed right might even be used for work holding by biting into the base of the stock.

-Freeman

Search “twist bench dogs” and you’ll find some, here’s one supplier...

edit: hmm actually I’m not sure now if these go below the surface or not. Might have jumped the gun on my recommendation.

8344A2E9-7972-4A3C-9D43-9E8984104951.png

Okay, these ones go flush but don’t use a twist motion, just a push motion like a cabinet latch. Need pretty deep holes though.

ED0B534C-740E-4CD7-B2D6-B2E4E1CE4192.png

I was just at their web site.

It might be easier to make these on the lathe. Two pieces of round, the outside with a single hole drilled for a set screw. The inside piece is has a shaft with a single grove or "thread" that wraps the the length and circumference of the shaft. A single twist would quickly raise or lower the stop.

Does that make sense?

Ouch $33/each - pretty snazzy for a bench dog. Insert, give the top a twist and it slightly expands into the dog hole to secure it.

I have plans to make a work bench that is similar to a Festool bench, but could be sought enough to hand plan and carve work on. These would be really nice to use for that. I may have to give in and use the Festools dimensions for the hole pattern and 20mm hole sizes.

1605933335088.png

$2 pop-up bench dogs using door latches. Heh, use a ferrous metal for the dogs and you can use the magnets on the latch to hold them.

1605934106814.png

The pop-up ones I found are called “Prairie Dogs” and made by Veritas. There are a few places that carry them, Lee Valley being the originator at leevalley.com They are a Canadian company but have a US presence and website so you can get them through there. But like I said, other places carry them too. No, not cheap.

For your lathe-made idea, yes a single thread would work although I think it would also be a great candidate if you wanted to try your hand at making multi-start threads!

I think the trick will be getting a good enough fit on the barrel for the accuracy and rigidity you’re trying to maintain but at the same time still making it easily retractable.

Headless shoulder bolts.

If you've got a lathe, turn a piece of steel/brass (or whatever) in to a cup shape with a threaded hole at the bottom of the cup. The bore is a close sliding fit to a mating headless shoulder bolt. The cup is pressed in to the workbench dog hole and the bolt screws down in to it. A drop of vibra-tite on the threads keeps it from vibrating (up or down) loose. The close fit keeps stuff from getting down in the hole, and give a bit of repeatability when used as a work stop.

If you wanted to get clever you could countersink the top of the cup and then use flat head bolts to act as a sharp edge to dig in to the stock. Replace with headless bolts if you don't want the bite. Or headed ones with a washer to use as hold-downs.

And... if you make a steep angle thick washer with a taller bolt you now have a wedge-action clamp.

If you're making your own, choose a coarse thread to speed up raising and lowering - but a cordless screwdriver would be really quick to pop a few up/down for each job, espeicially if you threw an o-ring in the bottom of the hole to keep the screw from locking up when you retract it.

If I were making a few of these I'd buy a box of shoulder bolts and turn the heads off... or maybe invest in a rotary broach. Last thing I'd want is some silly blade slots to get chewed up. Hex or Torx drive for sure.

Makes me wish I had a CNC lathe. Oh, wait.... there it is...;)

Back