Twin cylinder ignition module

Wino1442

Registered
Registered
Hi all....I am having trouble with an electronic ignition module that I bought for a twin cylinder IC engine ( Hoglet) I built. The module I have is from CDI Rcexl model:A-02 ver.2. It also has a small sticker on the side of the unit that say "3W". I have attached photos to this post so you can see exactly which unit I have.

There are a couple of issues I have noticed with this.
The first one is that it appears to be that spark plug sockets are too deep..I am using NGK CM-6 spark plugs and the unit I bought is supposed to be for use with these spark plugs. I ended up removing a wire clip/ring that's at the end of the socket and that seems like it allows me push them deeper onto to the spark plug, but it takes some effort to push them on, which I think it shouldn't be so much effort to get them to stay on the plugs.

When I put power to it ( 12 volts) and when I pass a magnet over the hall sensor both spark plugs fire at the same time. I am using two magnets, one North Pole and one South Pole alternately. Sometimes the unit won't fire the spark plugs at all. I run the magnets directly on the hall sensor so I don't think it's too much distance between the magnets and the sensor.

So...I'm wondering if I even have the correct unit. If it appears to you all that I have the correct module then maybe someone could point me in the right direction as to how to make it run properly...or maybe this is a defective unit.

I'm kind of at a loss here so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    825.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 19
If it malfunctions even with a clean power source like a battery then it's most likely defective- check with the manufacturer

First lets determine that you have the correct module that you need for the Hoglet and it has a dual hall sensor with 4 wires.

Ray

Last edited:
Rcxel is a huge player in the model airplane hobby. You are using the same spark plug as well.

You need the LV type, has 4 wire pickup. Designed for alt fire twins, I got mine for a 90 deg V twin
The 3W is for the 3W line of engines, they have a different advance curve to other engines.
Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• 20231031_064329[1].jpg
    20231031_064329[1].jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi all....Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them.

To answer Ray's question.....I would assume the hall sensor is a dual sensor unit as I can see 4 wires coming from the sensor.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I don't what a 3W engine is, but while I was looking at CDI's website I did see that they have a different twin cylinder module that has "LV" on a sticker where mine has "3W".
So I guess I will order an "LV" module and give that a go.

Would anyone know if there is a distributor of CDI products in the U.S.? I got mine from Nina through Amazon.

Thanks

Many full size 2 cylinder, 4 stroke fire both at same time, one is on exhaust when other is on compressor so it works.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

My ford EDIS based ignition system that I put in my old Mercedes is a wasted spark ignition. The plug fires TDC of the compression stoke and TDC of the exhaust stroke. Firing TDC of the exhaust stroke doesn't do many thing and the spark is just wasted. I.e. wasted spark.

Is this what you are describing by chance?

Back