Turning wood on my Jet 9x20

Dan

Active User
Registered
I needed 3" radius hard wood for the knifemakers vice I am making. This is the first time I tried turning wood on my 9x20 and it worked good!

IMG_0033.jpg IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0037.jpg IMG_0038.jpg IMG_0040.jpg

That's a good idea mounting your wood turning tool in the tool post.

Make darn sure you get that mess of wood residue all cleaned up. That stuff is a natural enemy of oil. It soaks it up quick.

"Billy G"

Nice job! Thinking out of the box, good for you.
Bill is right. Vacuum it up, wipe it down, reapply the oil.
The machine will be fine, if you clean it, as you should.
Larry

Thanks Guys!

You're absolutely right!

I vacuumed the mess up right away and noticed the wood wicked up some oil so I promptly wiped down my machine, disassembled the tool rest and cross slide, got all the wood and dust and chips out from the little nooks and crannies and reapplied a fresh coat of Mobil Way oil.

Thanks again!

Best Always,

Dan

nicely done. and good that you cleaned it up!

you could also have used your standard metal turning tooling to cut down the wood. did not necessarily have to install a wood turning tool in there (just saying...)

Nice set up. What is the last picture of?

Jeff

Knife makers vice in the making, the wood will be the jaws. It makes working handles easier because it can be rotated 360 deg.

- - - Updated - - -

nicely done. and good that you cleaned it up!

you could also have used your standard metal turning tooling to cut down the wood. did not necessarily have to install a wood turning tool in there (just saying...)

Yup, I did start with a rounded HSS cutter that was already mounted in a holder....... but I just had to try out the used crown cutter I got on e-bay after I sharpened it.

As promised, here is the vice finished.

IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg

Back