Turning For Tessitori

cg 2005

Active User
Registered
Andrew requested a new ignition switch holder for a fork change he is contemplating on BMW F650 GS. I told him I would try to get it together for him. After scaling the drawing, drilling the 8mm and 6mm holes in the drill press and shaping the piece it was time to bore the 30mm ignition cylinder hole. My largest bit is 1" or 25.4mm so after a series of stepped up hole diameters it was time to bore out the last 5mm.

The oddly shaped part required half a day of thinking and beer contemplation to get it set on the face plate.

Here are some shots from Flatistan Fabrication, makers of exemplary F650 farkles:

ingplate002.jpg

ingplate009.jpg

ingplate011.jpg

ingplate012.jpg

ingplate003.jpg

ingplate001.jpg

ingplate002.jpg

ingplate009.jpg

ingplate011.jpg

ingplate012.jpg

ingplate003.jpg

ingplate001.jpg

looks great, on parts like that I try to put the holes in before shaping the profile.

mike

looks great, on parts like that I try to put the holes in before shaping the profile.

mike

So do I normally. However, the curves were my biggest concern. So I decided to wait with the 30mm hole until I got the curves to come out. I still need to loop about an 1/8" of each end then it will mate up to the drawing.

Nice work, im inspired to do something like this on my next project bike

Any balance/shake problem? Looks like most of the weight is on one side.

Nothing noticeable, but I was only turning 130 rpm.

Last edited:
Back