Turning a long, thin, straight bar

Not much more to using a follow rest. Set the arms so they just touch and re-set them after each cut. Keep the tips lubed and it should go well.

Not much more to using a follow rest. Set the arms so they just touch and re-set them after each cut. Keep the tips lubed and it should go well.

That was how I was using it. I think it would have been ok if I had managed to get things aligned better. I thought it would hold the setting, but with moving it I can see how it might not. I should try some experiments with it.

Perhaps make a small test cut at the head and tail and adjust the tail stock based on those measurements. I've determined that my PM1340GT has a misaligned head stock (0.001" of diameter per 6" along the axis) which is very irritating considering the quality boast. I know how to adjust but really dread going though the process.

That is what I'm leaning towards. Skim cut both ends, mic, then adjust to center it up.

Yikes. Headstock? I didn't consider that. If the higher end model can have it, I guess I need to test it.

If you really want to do this , search not a follow rest . Jimsehr

Or veiw attachment in post #14. I made the box tool that cut that part. And it can cut as long as you want if you support the end of part so it does not whip.

I sold the tool when I sold machine it was made on and for.
But I may make another one to fit my Logan . Just for fun . If I can find some scrap metal to make it from in my metal stash.

Or search this site for ( not a follow rest. By Jimsehr ) that tool will also do it.

Last edited:
Back