Turning A Long Oval Bar Into A Round One ( Help Please )

Can we have pictures of your follow steady project in this thread please Stuart

I seem to recall I may have a threaded hole going spare on the side of my QCTP as well .. I'll have to check that one out that's for sure .

I will try and get some pics today,

Mine mounts on a couple of holes that are on the side of the sadle. I was trying to cut some mystery mettal and it was experiencing some flex so I was thinking of adding a bolted on rib to it.

I did make a small one for my old 9x20 that mounted on the tee slots on the cross slide.

Stuart

That's a novel idea Tozguy , thanks for posting it .

I see it can also be done with a double spaced tool holder for the same sort of tool post . Which is probably more in line with my limited range of machinery & quality of welding skills .

That's a novel idea Tozguy , thanks for posting it .

I see it can also be done with a double spaced tool holder for the same sort of tool post . Which is probably more in line with my limited range of machinery & quality of welding skills .

Just to be clear, it is not my idea. The picture comes from someone else who posted it elsewhere on the net.
Agree, its a neat and novel solution.

Can we have pictures of your follow steady project in this thread please Stuart

I seem to recall I may have a threaded hole going spare on the side of my QCTP as well .. I'll have to check that one out that's for sure .

Hello,

Ive made an album with the steady rest in , i had made a rigidity improvement today so thought i would post it.

Stuart

If you do not want to spend a good deal of time screwing around with HR or CR steel bars buy TGP (Turned Ground Polished) stock, if the parts are intended for bearing fits use the so called bearing quality bars which are slightly undersized.

An example is seen here http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-1047...steel-bearing-shaft-quality-0005-to-0015.aspx

Thanks tfor taking the time to have a dig around & post the link . That would have been ideal ,unfortunately I live several thousand miles away to the right of the USA across the pond ..in Great Britain .

I'm actually going it with the ovalid bar as part of an exercise in making my own fixed & moving steadies .
I just wondered what the best way to proceed would be having not done such a thing for 50 years & of course forgetting which way I did it in the first place half a century ago ..

Hello,

Ive made an album with the steady rest in , i had made a rigidity improvement today so thought i would post it.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart , I've had a look ........ interesting indeed.
Do I see that you have used your lathe as a mill ......was that to cut the slots in the brass ?

Not long now before I end up purchasing a reasonably priced set of end mills & flutes & see how I get on with using an angle plate as the mounting for the work pieces .

I'm almost ready to mount the fixed steady , awaiting some long Allen capped machine screws to mount the steady on the mounting plates .

Thanks Stuart , I've had a look ........ interesting indeed.
Do I see that you have used your lathe as a mill ......was that to cut the slots in the brass ?

Not long now before I end up purchasing a reasonably priced set of end mills & flutes & see how I get on with using an angle plate as the mounting for the work pieces .

I'm almost ready to mount the fixed steady , awaiting some long Allen capped machine screws to mount the steady on the mounting plates .

Yeah I have kinda broken the head of my milling machine whopps. But silver lineings , I'm now making a square coloum for it :)
(might have been a pre-existing crack that opened up, happened when clamping down on the clamp bolts whoops)

I've been practicing a lot of lath milling type operations I did manage to slightly over size the slot on one by moving it up when it should have gone down but hay it's only super expensive brass :) (it had been kicking about for ages)

I think in the photo the end mill is a 20mm which i was using to put a radius on the end of the figures that was nice and square, I had tried just filing them in but they wern't that square so not making good contact.

On the plus side it's really made me speed up fixing up the horizontal mill project :) Thats what I was making the long shaft for I'ts got the flat pulleys on it so power the mill spindle.

Stuart

Back