Turning a 2MT

Lone Watie

Active User
Registered
Is it possible and, if so, what is the best way to set up and turn a 2MT using only the compound on a mini-lathe? I'd like to give it a stab to see if I can turn some arbors for some tooling. Thanks. I see from a chart on wikipedia that the angle is 1º 25' 50". Is this correct?

As I mentioned, I'm trying to do this using the compound.

Offset the tailstock.

Find a Good MT-2 Set tie between centers, offset the tailstock. Use a dial indicator and adjust until the DI does not move. NOT ONE BIT. Then put in your stock (Which MUST be the same exact length) and cut your taper.

Yes, it is most definitly possible to turn a MT taper with just the cross slide. I use a method expounded upon by Bogstandard. I use a known MT Taper, set between centers, using a bright light and white card stock underneath. I adjust the cross slide angle until the white of the card stock disappears looking down on the taper to set the angle. The only difficulty is you may not be able to turn the entire length of the taper in one pass. I have made 4 or 5 MT2 tapers this way.

I also have a boring head with adapters I've made to mount the stock and make the job easier.

Chuck in E. TN

I made some with the compound and it was a PITA. Almost got carpel tunnel from cranking the compound handle plus the lenth of the compound travel was too short. Turn it between centers it will be much easier. Or i can send you some arbors as my taper attachment is still set up for a #2 MT...Bob

Not to re-hash an old thread, but...

1: Mount up a known MT arbor in the chuck or between centers.
2: Adjust the cross-slide using an indicator to get the angle spot-on
3: Chuck up your stock and start cutting
3A: all the cross-slide cranking can be eliminated with a cordless screwdriver and an adapter for the
crank handle mount screw (mine is a socket head cap screw and a hex drive matching bit in a 200 rpm
cordless gives a consistent feed rate and you only have to hold the button)
its my "POOR MAN'S POWER FEED"

I used to work [recently retired] for an outfit where I had to put crowns on belt rolls, about 5" long on each end. W/no taper attachment. To cut down on the "carpal tunnel" aspect, I made a long as possible crank I could slip on the compound handle, made a big difference.

Morse tapers are appx. 5/8 tpf but every size is just a little bit different. so you need to indicate a no 2 if thats what your cutting.I,m sure you know this but when cutting tapers its imperative that your tool is on the center. Good luck!

Making MT's (or any taper) fit is a fussy business. I take a piece of chalk and make a light line down the piece I'm turning when it's time to test the fit. I stick the MT into the hole and give it a twist. The chalk will be rubbed off where the taper touches the hole,so I can adjust the setup and try again.

Back