Turning 4140 annealed

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I’m getting set to make a slitting saw arbor and picked up a chunk of 4140 annealed.
Any tips on tooling etc for working with this?
Going to be on my South Bend 10K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Shouldn’t need anything particularly special. I routinely turn 4140 pre-hard using either HSS or carbide without trouble.

Nice stuff to work with, and is my go-to option for tooling/arbors/whatnot in my shop.

EDIT: As @benmychree suggest, it'll probably be a bit more gummy in the annealed form. But you still shouldn't have any problems with it.

Last edited:
Yes, if it was my choice I would have used 4140 HT, it is harder than annealed to be sure, but easy to machine at somewhat slower speeds than low carbon steels.

Thanks @benmychree and @JRaut. They did have 4140 HT but I wasn't sure how challenging that would be to work on my light'ish machine so went with the annealed.
I have Oxy/acetylene, could I I give it a rudimentary heat treat afterwards?

I have had good luck with carbide inserts on 4140 in my Boxford (SB Clone, but can run up to 2000 RPM). It's the one material I have been able to get a good finish on while running fast and generating some smoke! It's the only time I get to play Abom. As JRaut said though it does produce stringy chips.

Thanks @benmychree and @JRaut. They did have 4140 HT but I wasn't sure how challenging that would be to work on my light'ish machine so went with the annealed.
I have Oxy/acetylene, could I I give it a rudimentary heat treat afterwards?
Yes on heat treatment, but it would be necessary to temper it to a machinable hardness for finishing, that is why it is best to buy the HT temper.

I'd give the HT a try and see how well it works out for you and your tools. I had a bad experience with a piece once. It was easy to cut with a saw and file, and the lathe did fine turning it. But the tired marginal import knee mill at TechShop (a defunct makerspace) had some challenges. The mill would shudder and buck, and the tool would bounce in the cut, ruining it. I tried to anneal using a torch, but due to the size of the part, that was challenging, even with the help of a can of vermeculite. Heat treating anything of a decent size with a torch is no fun. I eventually completed the cut with a cobbled together ghetto end mill which was made with some TIG welding and a cobalt lathe bit, but things were still pretty chewed up. The project was not successful and ended up in my box of shame. I would have been very sad if I had stockpiled a few hundred dollars of 4140 HT. Looking back, using a decent cutter and a decent mill would have probably worked, but I mainly use 1050 or A36 now. The mill situation went downhill at TechShop until pretty much none were working. Many people lost more than the cost of a milling machine on sunk dues when the doors closed. Maybe I'll try the 4140 HT in the future when things are better. I have heard that a good 3/8" carbide end mill in a decently rigid machine works much better than Harbor Freight "gold" sets in a dodgy import mill.

Back