Tube notcher build

How did you scribed that scale on the side can you share your technique

Thanks in advance
Paul

after looking at all the notchers on the market I decided to build one that incorporated features from a few and some of my own. all the adjustments take the same allen wrench.
001-6_zps8f28319e.jpg
015-1_zps01ad31f2.jpg
001-6_zpsc9c08034.jpg
IMG_4927_zps548f7bdb.jpg

IMG_4919_zps948c7689.jpg
IMG_4922_zpsb1dffd89.jpg
IMG_4923_zps6babdff7.jpg
002_zps48a09405.jpg
003_zps018c747d.jpg
004_zps132ee64b.jpg

001-6_zps8f28319e.jpg

015-1_zps01ad31f2.jpg

001-6_zpsc9c08034.jpg

IMG_4927_zps548f7bdb.jpg

IMG_4919_zps948c7689.jpg

IMG_4922_zpsb1dffd89.jpg

IMG_4923_zps6babdff7.jpg

002_zps48a09405.jpg

003_zps018c747d.jpg

004_zps132ee64b.jpg

Man, that's a big chunk of steel....every time I look at it I think about what a PITA it must have been to drill.

How did you scribed that scale on the side can you share your technique

Thanks in advance
Paul

I take a broken end mill (I have a lot of them) and sharpen them to a point then grind one side of the tip away. Place the bit in the mill and lower it down to .003-.005 lower than the surface. then justmove the table to drag the point along the surface the desired lenth. it will peel up a perfect looking burr if the surface is flat. lightly sand the surface after to get rid of the sharp point sticking up.

Roy

Nice!!!! If you want to try and improve it you can give the old one to me! LOL

On a serious note, what hole saw are you using? How is it holding up to the odd feed angles?

I use lenox saws from the big box stores. They hold up well as long as you dont feed them to fast. If you start them into the cut too fast they can grab and break teeth. I have tried sterrett and other expensive saws and they have proven to be NO better.

Roy

Man, that's a big chunk of steel....every time I look at it I think about what a PITA it must have been to drill.

what was a pita was all the drill swarf. every hole made what appeared to be 1 cubic foot of chips.

Roy

I use lenox saws from the big box stores. They hold up well as long as you dont feed them to fast. If you start them into the cut too fast they can grab and break teeth. I have tried sterrett and other expensive saws and they have proven to be NO better.

Roy

That's good info...thanks for that. Even the guy who does the JD2 tube notcher demo video says the same thing.

yes you could and it would be a lot easier to machine. i had the steel in my scrap pile so thats what i used.

Nice, How much time do you have in it? Do you have drawings? Thanks

I would say 10 - 15 hours working slowly and designing as I went. I have no prints but could make some up if you are interested.

Roy

Drawings would be a nice addition to our library, if you are willing to share. Of course, they would remain your property. I'm sure several here would love to build one like yours. Looks very good.

I used to do a lot of that in 316/316L tubing to spoil our TIG guy, but had a spare Enco clone, so just kind of left it set up for it. We didn't find any of the HSS saws that held up well in the stainless, but Starrett offers a carbide tipped saw that is very durable. Not sure I'd want to try it in a hand-held notcher though. Pretty expensive.

Back