Tube Clamp I.D

bob12345

Registered
Registered
Not strictly machining and I could make them of course, but does any one know what this type of clamp is called?

The example is a bicycle seat post clamp, which I can buy for less than I can make them for, but I need to find a smaller than standard size, around 25mm and wondered if this type of clamp has another name, I couldn't find any with a Google, its bicycle seat post clamps all the way down.

It needs to be exactly the same as the picture with all the square sides parallel and no tapers, extra points if you know where I can buy one in the UK

spclamp.jpg

Not strictly machining and I could make them of course, but does any one know what this type of clamp is called?

The example is a bicycle seat post clamp, which I can buy for less than I can make them for, but I need to find a smaller than standard size, around 25mm and wondered if this type of clamp has another name, I couldn't find any with a Google, its bicycle seat post clamps all the way down.

It needs to be exactly the same as the picture with all the square sides parallel and no tapers, extra points if you know where I can buy one in the UK

View attachment 455254
Found too many to count searching “bicycle tube post clamp” on Amazon (so may be available on Amazon UK), including ones for 25mm tubes; unfortunately, none meet your other requirements. Maybe buy & modify? Most of them are $5 - $10.

If it's not an actual seat clamp, I just call those pinch bolt clamps. Have you tried McMaster?

In the early days of steel tubing aircraft structures they used what were called "Dutchman" clamps. These were designed by the Fokker aircraft company of WWI fighter fame, and made by welding pieces of tubing together and then making cuts to split them.

20230727_181430.jpg20230727_181442.jpg

Found too many to count searching “bicycle tube post clamp” on Amazon (so may be available on Amazon UK), including ones for 25mm tubes; unfortunately, none meet your other requirements. Maybe buy & modify? Most of them are $5 - $10.
I've eBay and Amazond it pretty thoroughly, I need a rectangular clamp but they all seem to be tapered online

In the early days of steel tubing aircraft structures they used what were called "Dutchman" clamps. These were designed by the Fokker aircraft company of WWI fighter fame, and made by welding pieces of tubing together and then making cuts to split them.

View attachment 455265View attachment 455266
Didn't help find what I was after, but interesting none the less, thanks for the info

Seems to me you are just looking for a common clamp collar. You can get them in one- and two-piece configurations.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/clamp-collars/

The picture you posted is a custom product. There are also different kinds of pipe clamps and shaft collars out there. Good luck on your search.

Seems to me you are just looking for a common clamp collar. You can get them in one- and two-piece configurations.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/clamp-collars/

The picture you posted is a custom product. There are also different kinds of pipe clamps and shaft collars out there. Good luck on your search.
I think your right, I had hoped they had some obscure name that was just a Google away.

Tbh I was being lazy, I could make what I want, but the though of paying a few quid for an already machined and anodised one was too tempting.

Back