Trying to decided on a benchtop lathe

Your father-in-law would be the first place I'd start since he may have friends who've retired and gotten past their home shop days.

Getting to know people who have machines has been a huge help for me. Once you get to know people it seems like stuff is popping up all the time. People get a new machine and need to sell the old, have a machine that they just don't use anymore and want to make some room or they know somebody who has a machine to sell. Ebay and CL are kind of a pain and who wants a bunch of strangers nosing around their shop, so if they can sell privately through word of mouth it is better for all involved.

About half of the machines I have, either came to me directly from somebody that I know, or because somebody I know, knew a guy that was selling. The rest were either purchased new or I found them on CL.

You're at the right place to discuss needs and what machines would be best. We all love to help folks figure this stuff out and members here span the range from mini through full industrial. The PM machines have a good reputation and consensus is you won't be disappointed. But since you started out looking at a 12" lathes you might want to consider which machines would give that and fit your space....

John

I'll definitely check out "lathes.co.uk". By the look of the site it will give me dimensions of a bunch of different options I hadn't considered at the very least. I'll also take any advice I can get. I really only have space for a lathe that is 50 inches long. I can stretch that out a little but it will require some creative rearranging of the space and possibly building some new shelving and workbenches.

Perhaps what I really need is a bigger house and garage....

Getting to know people who have machines has been a huge help for me. Once you get to know people it seems like stuff is popping up all the time. People get a new machine and need to sell the old, have a machine that they just don't use anymore and want to make some room or they know somebody who has a machine to sell. Ebay and CL are kind of a pain and who wants a bunch of strangers nosing around their shop, so if they can sell privately through word of mouth it is better for all involved.

About half of the machines I have, either came to me directly from somebody that I know, or because somebody I know, knew a guy that was selling. The rest were either purchased new or I found them on CL.

That's how my father in law got all his machines. I know enough folks local that getting bigger stuff wouldn't be overly problematic. I know of a Colchester that will be available within the next couple years. Finding little stuff has been more difficult.

There are other reasons to consider a 12-13" swing lathe, in general they use standardized chuck mounts (D1-4 mount has a wide selection of chucks and easier to mount), holders (BXA) and tooling like standard tapers. They tend to have fewer change gears and have more rigidity. Bolton makes inexpensive machines, but the few people I know that have purchased them regret the purchase due to poor functioning/quality, no post sales support and lack of replacement parts. There are two lathe suggestions that you might consider looking at, but they are a bit more:
PM-1228VF-LB https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1228vf-lb/
EISEN 1224GH (w/o floor stand) https://eisenm.com/products/eisen-1...hp-single-phase-220v-with-floor-stand-and-dro

There are other reasons to consider a 12-13" swing lathe, in general they use standardized chuck mounts (D1-4 mount has a wide selection of chucks and easier to mount), holders (BXA) and tooling like standard tapers. They tend to have fewer change gears and have more rigidity. Bolton makes inexpensive machines, but the few people I know that have purchased them regret the purchase due to poor functioning/quality, no post sales support and lack of replacement parts. There are two lathe suggestions that you might consider looking at, but they are a bit more:
PM-1228VF-LB https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1228vf-lb/
EISEN 1224GH (w/o floor stand) https://eisenm.com/products/eisen-1...hp-single-phase-220v-with-floor-stand-and-dro

Unfortunately that PM lathe is about 10 inches long to fit in the space allotted. That Eisen has my interest though. I would need to put back a bit more green than I have currently but it might fit the bill better than the PM 1022.

Thanks for the tip!

I know nothing about Bolton but those who have experience with them tend not to have much positive to say. I also wonder about them considering that nobody else sells some of the machines they have, like that 12x24. Grizzly used to sell a 12x24 but no longer list it, makes you wonder why...

If you could possibly squeeze in another 5" of length you might look at the PM1127. You still have to deal with change gears but beyond the additional 1" of swing you get a larger spindle bore and a D1-4 spindle instead of the kind of funky flange system used on many of the smaller lathes including the PM1022/1030. The 1127 also has a wider bed (7" vs 5.33") than the 1022 so should be a little more rigid.

Something you gain by going to a 12" that is not obvious at first is that is the smallest size new lathe that comes with a QCGB, on all of the smaller lathes you have to deal with change gears for threading. Some of the smaller ones do have gear boxes to control the power feed speed, but can only do a couple of threads at a time with out changing the gears. Vintage lathes have an advantage over new in this regard as many of the older 9-11" lathes were available with a QCGB, and none of the current ones do until you get into the $6000+ price range (the $7500 Grizzly Southbend 10x30 for example).

PM's machines are more expensive but if you look at the accessories you are usually getting quite a bit more tooling with them along with that price, so you are not just buying a brand name and better service. Also a 10x22 lathe is not a tiny lathe, it is only small when compared to something like a 12x36 or larger.

If you could possibly squeeze in another 5" of length you might look at the PM1127. You still have to deal with change gears but beyond the additional 1" of swing you get a larger spindle bore and a D1-4 spindle instead of the kind of funky flange system used on many of the smaller lathes including the PM1022/1030. The 1127 also has a wider bed (7" vs 5.33") than the 1022 so should be a little more rigid.

It seems my initial research was poor. I didn't even know the correct questions to ask. I'm going to go back to the drawing board, including trying to layout the workshop to find more space. I really want a QCGB. The extra width on the ways would be nice as well...... same with a D1-4 spindle.

Perhaps I should just work on getting this mill where I want it and put back some additional cash for the lathe that will work for me. It would be nice to have one piece of equipment that isn't a pile of garbage.

It seems my initial research was poor. I didn't even know the correct questions to ask. I'm going to go back to the drawing board, including trying to layout the workshop to find more space. I really want a QCGB. The extra width on the ways would be nice as well...... same with a D1-4 spindle.

Perhaps I should just work on getting this mill where I want it and put back some additional cash for the lathe that will work for me. It would be nice to have one piece of equipment that isn't a pile of garbage.

If we all knew everything, we wouldn't need anything on this site other than the look at what I bought and look at what I made threads. ;)

I am a fan of smaller lathes, but a lot of that has to do with my doing mostly small work.
There are definite benefits to bigger machines than just that they are bigger. Bigger also usually comes with more features, at least for the machines that you can buy new. Vintage machines open up lot more options, and a lot more concerns.

If we all knew everything, we wouldn't need anything on this site other than the look at what I bought and look at what I made threads. ;)

I am a fan of smaller lathes, but a lot of that has to do with my doing mostly small work.
There are definite benefits to bigger machines than just that they are bigger. Bigger also usually comes with more features, at least for the machines that you can buy new. Vintage machines open up lot more options, and a lot more concerns.

I'll find the right unit eventually. My problem is I would much rather be using a lathe than researching them. I tend to impulse buy.

I'm trying not to do that this time around.

Back