Truing a disc-sander hub and disc

Easy way and hard way...

Easy way slightly Disney.

If disk is ticking on the shaft you can find the pivot point and the spot that it sticks into or where the space is.

You would drill and tap the disk for some set screws that would allow you to adjust the disk to run true.

Losen a bit, pack with epoxy and put it back on and get it true.

Hard way...make sure shaft is straight, round and not worn.

Place disk in lathe and get it perfect first then bore out the hole a suitable size to add a bushing on the shaft.

Make a bushing, first make id a very tight fit to shaft and do cut a keyway but only a small depth to insure bushing stays full round.

Loctite or epoxy to come later.

Carefully using broach with no spacers or just use a boring bar in lathe manually moving carriage.

Mill the key top so it fits.

Now bushing keyed to arbor.

Better to put arbor in lathe with 4 jaw tho get exact true.

Now skim cut the bushing until the face plate just barely fits.

Now opposite side of bushing cut shallow key with mill and make another modified shorter key.

Assemble and return all to lathe and face off the disk and hit the side to make it round.

Bonus points...

If disk can be assembled before arbor is installed then epoxy all of the parts before the true up step above.

A heat gun will cause epoxy to let go later if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Easy way and hard way...

Thanks for the descriptions. If I rebuild the machine down the road, I may go for the hard way. And I may get irritated enough with the existing runout to do the easy way in the meantime.

Easier way...;-)

Cut some strips from your drink can.

This usually is aluminum 0.002 to 0.004 thick.

You can wrap a single non overlapping layer on the shaft with about 1/2 inch off the end.

Fold this inward making a cone.

Oil up the disk and the aluminum outside and see if you can fit the disk to the shaft.

Gentle tapping with a hammer may help.

Aluminum is soft enough to move a bit to conform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back