1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with high speed table travel- need advice-

Discussion in 'BRIDGEPORT MACHINES INC. & B'PORT CLONES' started by Bob V, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Bob V

Bob V United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Rochester
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Hi,
    I have a friend who is not connected to the internet.
    He is working on the traversing mechanism for a Bridgeport mill.
    I don't have a Bridgeport mill (I do have a Van Norman), but since he can't get advice on the internet I am trying to help him.
    I will try to explain the problem as well as I can-- he told me about it on the phone.

The low speed table travel works fine. When the high speed is engaged, apparently two gears that are held together by a spring begin to chatter and disengage. The spring and gears are fine (not damaged), and the low speed travel is fine.
    Two questions:
    1. Where should my friend look for the cause of these gears skipping when the spring pressure should keep them together? Should he look for a stronger spring?
    2. Does this "spring" act as a clutch of sorts to protect the machine from damage when there is too much resistance downstream?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Bob

2. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I'd disengage the power drive and see how hard it is to turn the crank by hand. Sounds like High Speed encounters resistance that Lo Speed doesn't. Check the gibs.

expressline99, RandyM and Bob Korves like this.
  3. Bob V

City:
    Rochester
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Thanks, Tom
    I had already told him to check the gibs. I also suggested he check the backlash collars on the lead screw for the traverse--but I don't know if the setup is the same on a Bridgeport as it is on my Van Norman.
    Much appreciated
    Bob

4. seasicksteve

seasicksteve United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    central
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Lyman MK 7 power feed attachment? I had this unit on my old BP there was a tension adjustment on the underside that would require tightening on occasion

5. Bob V

City:
    Rochester
    State:
    New York

-Return to Top-

Sorry, don't know if it's a Lyman MK7. I just know there is a spring that keeps a couple gears meshed, and if there is too much resistance in the system the gears can skip.