Trouble With Clausing 7699 Taper Attachment

Rick_B

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Good morning folks - I have a Clausing 5408 12" lathe with a 7699 taper attachment. I used the attachment for the first time a few days ago and it worked fine. Today I was using it again and its no longer cutting a taper. The taper is set the same as the earlier try. The bed clamp is tightened. I'm not quite sure how it works but I "think" that as the carriage moves toward the head stock the taper moves at the taper angle and pushes the cross slide away from the work. If that is correct there must be some connection of the cross slide screw to the cross slide that has gone wrong. When I turn the crioss slide handle I can see the screw turning back at the taper attachment. Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Thanks
Rick

I tried to post something on this, but I accidently posted the map below, disregard it, I suspect that something is loose on your TA that should be tight. You should look for an instruction manual, there are two types of TA, they operate differently, you need to study up on it, look for something on the internet.

Attachments

• 1687889609923.png
    1687889609923.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I tried to post something on this, but I accidently posted the map below, disregard it, I suspect that something is loose on your TA that should be tight. You should look for an instruction manual, there are two types of TA, they operate differently, you need to study up on it, look for something on the internet.
I've got the manual = good for installation but not trouble shooting. I was hoping to narrow down the potential problem area without complete disassembly.

Rick

Does the manual give instructions on the operation of the TA? Could you post a link to it or otherwise copy it for posting?

Strange thing is that I do not see any means to lock out the backlash in the screw/nut as is common on many other lathes with telescoping TAs. Perhaps try setting the TA for a steeper angle and run the carriage back and forth and see if it makes things clearer as to what is going on, or in this case, not going on. I agree, the instructions are no help at all.

Being a telescoping lead screw type taper attachment looks like the only possible problem causing no movement of the cross slide would be in the connection between the taper attachment hub and the lead screw....as in collar 023-019.... if the bed clamp is actually clamping to the bed.

So today I started to take a closer look. I pulled the cross slide lead screw - that looked fine and it seemed to be making a good connection with the splined TA screw. I also pulled the splined shaft - looked OK. Reinstalled it. Still no luck. I did find that with the bed clamp disconnected I could manually move the sliding TA plate and the cross slide would move in and out - although I did notice that I had to move the sliding plate an inch or more before the cross slide started to move. I'm still at a loss regarding what is going on.

Rick

Back