Tread Mill Motor Vs Vfd

Quick Cal

Registered
Registered
Hey guys. New guy here.

I picked up a 1939 Delta dp 220 drill press for cheap. It has the original 1/3 hp 3 phase motor.

I'm trying to decide which way I'd be better off. A vfd, single phase motor, or a treadmill motor. I'd like to do this on the cheap if I can.

I want to set this up for slow speed metal drilling. I want to possibly tap holes on it too.

I did get a free treadmill. But I don't know if it's suited for the task. I've been told that I would not be happy with the results and too much of a hassle. Well I'm up for the challenge as long as it doesn't cost more than a vfd. Which a new one I was looking at is $166. I'm open to suggestions on which one to get also.

This treadmill has push buttons, not dials. Is that a deal breaker. Is it the right kind of board I see you guys talking about.

I should point out I'm electronically challenged,,,lol. This conversion might be over my pay grade. I'm even worried a vfd might be too much for me.

I guess another option is just using a single phase motor. But then I wouldn't have the slow speed control I want.

Another thing I want to try to do is use the treadmills incline device to raise and lower my drill press table. You guys think that's doable. I'm in machine shop school so I can make a longer runner/track, what ever you would call it. I don't know if the motor could handle the weight. It did raise me up while I was on the treadmill so I'm guessing it would be ol.

I guess that's enough for now. I'll try posting some pics and we'll go from there.

IMG_5062.jpg 20160202_100420[1].jpg 20160202_100434[1].jpg 20160202_100442[1].jpg 20160202_100456[1].jpg

Just picked up a FREE working treadmill was going to deconstruct but ended up selling for $125. worked too good to take apart. I have two other motors and picked up an old grainger controller that works perfect for it at a garage sale. variable speed and reverse fast enough to spin off the flywheel for a couple of dollars. Thinking of using on my wood lathe. or for a disc sander.

Here is a schematic for the power portion of that controller. It's controlled by a microcomputer, not shown.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/mc2100-treadmill-motor-control-circuit.100678/

The motor has the capacity to do what you want, as does the incline motor. If I had it I would either reprogram the micro or replace it with one I programmed, but I don't think I could talk you through that. You might be able to use the motors and controller as-is, just rearranging them physically to your satisfaction.

Nice old Delta drill press. Could I enter a vote for cleaning it up, gently repairing any functional issues, and then leaving it just like it is? Then find an Asian import to hot rod? After 77 years it deserves some TLC and respect for having made it this far. They aren't making any more of them. My thoughts, your drill press...

I watched a Tublacain Vid where he wanted to do the same thing with a VFD but he was diapointed becuse he could not get enough torque at the lower speeds.

I do not think that old 3 phase motor will take kindly to a VFD, the insulation is probably marginal at best after all these years and probably go quickly running on a VFD. So either way you are probably looking at a motor/controller for variable speed. DC treadmill motor wired to a controller may be the easiest option and meet your budget. Matching your DC motor to the appropriate DC drive can be problematic and in most cases you would need to build an enclosure for the electronics.Might look a cheap Chinese DC controllers or KB Electronics. Also will need to consider further belting down the DC motor speed, which tends to be higher.

Alternatively you can get a new 1/3Hp 3 phase motor with a Teco L510 VFD for fairly close to your budget. Connect the 120V power to the VFD, connect 3 power wires and a ground between the VFD and the motor, enter your motor parameters and you are good to go. You can use the VFD control panel, or add a forward/stop/reverse switch and a speed pot if you want to operate it remotely. Very easy to setup. With a newer motor and a sensorless vector VFD, low end torque would not be an issue. Not sure of the speed of your stock motor, so pick a combination below.
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=2&scID=132&PID=24067
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=2&scID=132&PID=24068

Last edited:
I would use the 3 phase motor that you have and buy a decent VFD. I have been running a 1940s vintage motor on my lathe for years on a VFD with no problems.
Spend a few extra $ and buy a sensorless vector VFD that will drive a 3/4 or 1 hp motor so if you decide to upgrade the motor someday you will be all set. If you change the motor you will also need to match the shaft size so you can use the step pulley (that I hope you already have). Most new motor shafts are 5/8" or larger but some of those older motors are only 1/2". Matching older step pulleys can get pricey if you need to replace it! You don't want to give up the flexibility of using those step pulleys even with the variable speed motor.

same stuff I'm going to be putting on my 8" drill press.

Your controller needs a PWM signal for speed.

There should be a diagram somewhere in the treadmill that shows the input/ouputs.

Mine is a 1200 IIRC, yours is a 2100.

Exercise your "google-Fu" and search around a bit. I've seen a couple sites where guys have used that board for speed controllers and what's needed to get it working.

if you already have the treadmill motor for free and you want to do this on the cheap, I'd run with that. It'll be more work than a VFD, but only you can decide about money vs. time. One thing to bear in mind though, those treadmill motors don't work great below 20%, so work out the slowest speed you can get at the chuck with the motor at 800rpm (~20% of their max speed) and the pulleys you have. If that doesn't get you low enough a 3ph motor and VFD might be able to get you to half that rpm. Any lower than that and you'll need an intermediate pulley to drop the speed further.

I have a 1hp version of that motor on my lathe and I'll be putting a 1.5hp one on my drill press at some point this year (sob sob), but mine has the benefit of an intermediate pulley to really drop the speeds.

Back