Transporting, Unloading and moving into the site! Heavy stuff tips and tricks?

countryguy

Active User
Registered
I recently learned some machine moving tricks from a Pro who had 15+ machines in a space so small I was simply AMAZED that every machine was moved in by himself w/ no help. And I'm talking huge machines! 2-4KLbs. As beginners, I know I was befuddled on how to move this heavy stuff? My first move was the 3:1 2hp hobby mill via the tractor bucket w/ straps. That went fine. really, But that did max out the tractor bucket! And I was holding my breath the whole time. So I figured that the "big stuff" would simply cost me $$ to have it done should I ever elect to dive into the large class heavy metal machines!

Graduation day: Then I needed to haul a Cinnci #2 grinder (2.4K lbs) and a bridgeport 815 (1.sumthing K) that I bought. (classified here on HM). I drove From MI to IN . about 300 miles to get this gear. Had not a clue how to get it loaded, but Earl noted it would not be a big deal? Ummm s'cuse me? I like my body parts! :nuts:
How on earth will we get this stuff up? He just noted he's been moving this stuff for 20years and it'll all go fine. :) .....And I still know that Santa comes down my Chimney for Milk & Cookies!

Some things I learned from Earl!
It is a bunch of small moves and incremental steps. Think, Look, Move
A smooth painted floor -vs- rough bare concrete. Amazed at the difference!
Come Along- (hand winches) and chains and straps are a must. I would have loved a Motorized Winch, but the hand units offered great flexibility in close quarters!
Steel round stock. We would lift each side. Put a roller dowel round stock (about 8" long) half under each corner. then push or winch it.... And we moved some pretty hugh lathes, the cincci #2 T&C, etc.... In short, the Cinnci #2 was rolled about 20ft to the garage door on these steel round stock rollers and pushing slowly. Then winched up onto the trailer ramps w/ the come-along. Both low and high.... to prevent tipping.
Being super cautious and super safe. tie offs, anti-tip straps from this beam to that tree... what-ever to have firm anchor points..... Take the extra 10mins to avert a crash please!

Sliding versus lifting! When I got the gear home, I have a very rough concrete floor! My round rod would not roll equipment? Just to move the 1/2K Mill was torture! It did roll some w/ a winch on the round stock, but super slow! Friction! Load at rest.... I thought I would snap the winch? Must make the friction less.... So I put down some smooth 12Ga 4" strip steel in 8ft lengths I had. I suppose you could use about anything smooth and slick? Anyway, I sprayed them down w/ WD40 and just Slide it the whole way in! Super easy. actually too easy! Again, Use the jack and pry bar to slide steel under pads.

I did the bridgeport and the Cinnci #2 slide strategy on these strips in 1/2 the time to winch or roll them across the floor. But both were extremely effective and I'll use both methods in the future. Round stock for close quarters and long oiled runners for sliding large distances and offloading and on-boarding. To winch it down the ramp on these oiled strips for a huge machine was a pretty nice feeling.

I'm not afraid to go after bigger buys now. I know it's a planning and cautious event, but nothing that cannot be done w/ some simple thinking and planning. Of course, asking Q's on this site and finding out how others did it is a huge help too!

anyone have some really good tips for moving our Monsters around the shop or from Site A to Home base? Us beginners need to get it all home in 1 piece! :)

enjoy the week all! I now have the Cinnci #2 and the Bridgeport 815 all snug as a bug! Looking for my next heavy deal! No fear here! Just respect.

Moveme1.jpgMoveme2.jpg and in their new home :) homesweethome.jpg
CGout

Moveme1.jpg Moveme2.jpg homesweethome.jpg

Last edited:
How are you keeping that Cincinnati affixed to the ceiling like that? Amazing!!!!

; )

Great tips - thanks for sharing. Helping a friend move his shop this weekend, I'm sure this info will be helpful.

On rough concrete turn the rollers 90 degrees and use them as rails instead of using as rollers. Minimal surface contact with the machine base as it slides on the crest of the rollers.

Back