Tractor overhaul project

If it runs good once started, and has plenty of power, I would look at fuel supply to the high pressure pump. Does it have a low pressure supply pump? How many hours on the engine? Mike

There's a trick to pulling Ford tractor sleeves. Take a stick welder and run a quick very hot bead down the bore. That will pop it loose.
Yea, it works very well.. Weld them up, turn the block upside down, and when you come back they would be laying on the floor. I like using a tig welder personally as there is no slag/splatter

I checked glow plugs with an ohm meter and they all showed ok. When I changed them out the engine started fine. Don't understand why they would show good on a meter and not be ok. Those selves don't look like wet sleves. You may have to bore the engine block to fit. If you have the parts and have to take apart the engine I would go through the whole engine. By the time a diesel engine looses enough compression due to wear in the piston and cylinders it usually starts burning quite a bit of oil. If it runs ok once it starts I .would change the four glow plugs before taking the engine apart. It's less than an hour job and if you rebuild the engine you would probably change them any way . One last thought is put a bolt meter on the glow plugs and make sure they have voltage when they are supposed to. If it's hard to start but runs fine the first thing is change the glow plugs. It's a lot cheaper than to rebuild the engine
I like your thinking, Nutfarmer. New glow plugs are on the way...........
If it runs good once started, and has plenty of power, I would look at fuel supply to the high pressure pump. Does it have a low pressure supply pump? How many hours on the engine? Mike

The hour meter says 1000 hours but the tach drive cable was broken when I got it. The tires look original so I don't think it has
a huge number of hours on it. It has a low pressure supply pump and I have gone through that stuff as well as the injectors.
It emits a lot of white smoke on cranking so I know it has plenty of fuel. The fuel tank is clean so no water contamination either.
I timed the pump and even moved the timing around some which by the way didn't make any difference on starting....
Sooner or later it looks like I will have to get out the wrenches .............:surrender:

A thousand hours is nothing on a diesel engine. If it runs once started fuel system ok. Fuel problems like plugged filters and low fuel delivery will show up as a loss of power and the engine not being able to go up to fill speed.

It could also be wet stacking. It may of gummed up the rings. I would recommend running it hard for an hour or two. Not just high idle, high load. If you have a plow use that, a high load pto device would work also. Failing all that a tractor dyno would probably work.

It could also be wet stacking. It may of gummed up the rings. I would recommend running it hard for an hour or two. Not just high idle, high load. If you have a plow use that, a high load pto device would work also. Failing all that a tractor dyno would probably work.

Yes, that is a positive thought. I have used it all of this Minnesota winter to plow a quarter mile of road so it is getting at
least somewhat of a workout. So far I have seen no improvement whatsoever. It's all part of getting to the bottom of things
in the long road of getting it into decent condition. When it warms up a bit, I will be sure to move some dirt with it and load
it down and make it work hard.

It needs hard work. Like field work. It’s hard to do when you don’t have a field and it’s designed to be a loader tractor. Maybe somebody needs a pasture mowed and you could bring the tractor they supply the mower. White smoke usually means cold combustion. Does the exhaust look wet inside? That’s where the term wet stacking comes from.

It needs hard work. Like field work. It’s hard to do when you don’t have a field and it’s designed to be a loader tractor. Maybe somebody needs a pasture mowed and you could bring the tractor they supply the mower. White smoke usually means cold combustion. Does the exhaust look wet inside? That’s where the term wet stacking comes from.

Thanks for the response. Actually the white smoke is only trying to get it running. I will have to take a closer look at the exhaust.
The part I just do not understand is that after a major struggle starting it, it runs perfectly.

Back