[Source] Trac A Dial 7a

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Folks,

I am looking for instruction sheet on how to take a 7A apart. I acquired a used one with one of the needles kind of bent and both dials washed out. The internal mechanism appears to work just fine.

From Southwest Industries I bought the needles, the dials, and the maintenance kit. Now I need to find out how these units come apart. I got some pictures from another gentleman, but they are for the model 6 with dial knob.

Thank you, I appreciate any help. On the other hand if anyone who has done this work and willing to do mine for a fee, I will be all over it.

I have a T Dial on my 1236, I love it. I put a DRO on the Z drive on my first 1024, though it is OK, I still take a T Dial any day. With the newly acquired SBL 13, the T Dial will be installed in it, one way or another.

nez

I would think that you might be better off sending it out for work. It's probably no different than any indicator.

I have worked on them before. Can’t recall any difficulties. I do remember that you want to make sure that the anti-back lash is set-up correctly (just line up all the holes and pin it, is my recollection). Good Luck, Dave.

I have worked on them before. Can’t recall any difficulties. I do remember that you want to make sure that the anti-back lash is set-up correctly (just line up all the holes and pin it, is my recollection). Good Luck, Dave.

How did you remove the dial hands? How did you remove the dial face?

To remove the hands is just like working on a pocket watch. You can use a small puller made for removing watch hands or just use two small regular screwdriver blades and a piece of paper with a “V” cut. Lay the paper down on the dial and wedge the hands off with the screwdrivers. Maybe YouTube could have a video for you to view.

To remove the hands is just like working on a pocket watch. You can use a small puller made for removing watch hands or just use two small regular screwdriver blades and a piece of paper with a “V” cut. Lay the paper down on the dial and wedge the hands off with the screwdrivers. Maybe YouTube could have a video for you to view.

Thank you, never taken a pocket watch before. What holds the hands? Just press fit? How are the dials held in place.

I will check YouTube, have not seen a tutorial online, will keep mining.

If I remember right, to get inside the casing you need to scoop out some epoxy that's potted over the screws on the underside - once inside they're not so complicated, a good clean and some watch oil on the gears and pivots wouldn't go amiss.

Dave H. (the other one)

In the file I posted it tells how to remove and replace the crystal. that should get you to the hands and face. Page 87 step 4

Back