TouchDRO Plus is out (plus some loose ends)

ycroosh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Hi Folks,
A bit of a week ago I sneakily released TouchDRO Plus to production. Starting with the build 2024-04-21, TouchDRO will detect a TDA-4xx adapter, do the secret handshake, and turn on TouchDRO Plus for that configuration. More details about the activation process, and which features are included you can read on the "TouchDRO Plus Details" page.

The latest Beta build (2024-05-01) has some small performance improvements for older tablets (I got a few complaints that there are strange delays on some old tablets). It will be in production in a week or so.

Next on my plate (not necessarily in this order):
  1. Figure out the upgrade process for the V2 Quadrature adapters (need to set up the store listing for it and test the firmware). There will be two options: for people who purchased fully assembled adapters (i.e. paid $159 + shipping and the adapter came in an assembled enclosure), the price will be $25 + return shipping. For everybody else it will be $75 + shipping.
  2. Add support for serial protocols to TDA-400/420 and design input adapters. Basically you will be able to configure any of the four primary inputs to decode iGaging 21-bit, iGaging Absolute, BIN6, or Mitutoyo SPC protocol. There will be four "<something>-to-DB9" adapters that will provide scale clocks, supply voltage, etc.
  3. Add adapter management dialog to TouchDRO app for things like axis reference setting, input mode configuration, firmware update, etc.
  4. Add user manual pages and videos for the new functionality
  5. Finish next batch of TouchDRO features:
    1. Automatic tool height setter support
    2. Touch probe calibration wizard
    3. Formula-based inputs (i.e. you will be able to do things like X = y * cos(A), etc). This will be in TouchDRO Plus
    4. Excellon drill file import for PCB drilling (Plus only)
Feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated
Regards
Yuriy

I thought you were discontinuing IGaging support?

I thought you were discontinuing IGaging support?
I discontinued iGaging DRO adapter(s), but there are many hobby machines with that come with a capacitive scale on the quill. Many of those have a data port. Similarly, Mitutoyo makes a quill scale with a data port (that is actually very accurate and reliable, as far as I can tell).

The goal for the configurable input support is to let people use a set of glass scales with one capacitive scale. Using TDA-400 or 420 with four iGaging scales is not the intended use case (although the adapter will support it). Based on my back-of-the-napkin calculations, each input adapter will sell for around $50 (if not more), so using TDA-420 with four iGaging scales doesn't make any sense.

1. Figure out the upgrade process for the V2 Quadrature adapters (need to set up the store listing for it and test the firmware). There will be two options: for people who purchased fully assembled adapters (i.e. paid $159 + shipping and the adapter came in an assembled enclosure), the price will be $25 + return shipping.
No hurry from my point of view, I would think some of your other action items need to come first.
But when upgrades become available, can you help me understand whether it's worth it, for a DRO beginner like me?

I guess what I'm asking is can you dumb down your presentation. Me, I've just been using DRO as digital handwheels, haven't even done a bolt pattern yet. I'm "basic". Will I benefit any from the upgrade?

Thanks a million
Mark

No hurry from my point of view, I would think some of your other action items need to come first.
But when upgrades become available, can you help me understand whether it's worth it, for a DRO beginner like me?

I guess what I'm asking is can you dumb down your presentation. Me, I've just been using DRO as digital handwheels, haven't even done a bolt pattern yet. I'm "basic". Will I benefit any from the upgrade?

Thanks a million
Mark
Mark,
I've used hole pattern exactly once on a real project. It is a "standard" DRO feature, and TouchDRO had to have it, but I suspect for most general show work it's pretty useless (someone tell me if I'm wrong).

Firmware upgrade will basically turn the V2 glass/magnetic scale adapter into a "lite" version of TDA-420, which also happens to give access to TouchDRO Plus.

I don't know what the right workflow for you is, but I use TouchDRO as a fancy "scratch pad" for coordinates. Most of what I do can be distilled down to:
1. Sizing the stock to the final dimensions
2. Drilling/spotting/reaming/tapping/countersinking/counterboring a bunch of holes
3. Removing some material from random places to give the part the final shape.

I spend 90% of the time in the graphical view screen (although on my new mill I went a bit crazy and got a 12" Galaxy Tab S8 FE that now lives in portrait orientation full time.
The functions that I use on every project are:
  • "Indicate Workspace" to indicate the part. In the "Free" version, the function can use a touch probe to find any of the corners, or the centerline(s). The Plus version adds the "hands-free" mode for the probe, so I have to tap the "Magic Wand" button once, and TouchDRO handles the rest without me needing to touch the screen.
  • Sub-datum memory - a common workflow for me is to enter coordinates into the sub-datum memory (or, if it's only a handful, just move the spindle to the coordinate(s) and tap the "Plus" button). I can then mount center drill into the chuck, turn on auto sub-datum selection and just move between holes on screen without touching the DRO. Plus version gives me a way to type the coordinates into a google doc, export it to .csv and import into TouchDRO. It's easier to type on my macbook using a physical keyboard than on screen mounted at eye level. The "Add sub-datum on z down" is useful, but I can live without it, and so is "Next sub-datum on z down".
  • Cutter radius compensation - any time I'm milling slots, pockets, etc. not having to keep track of "which way and by how much to I need to move for half of 3/8" cutter diameter" has been very useful. In the Plus version I get the convenience of not having to switch the tool offset direction manually, since it can do it based on direction of travel in relation to a "guide line".
  • "Hold" function (especially on the lathe) is super convenient for swapping tooling and preserving the Z offset. I use a manual tool height setter from eBay, but will be adding support for an electronic height setter soon. This is include in the free app, so no need for Plus.
The there is the whole "tour de force" of the Plus version - the Reference Background Image function. For things that I would normally use layout fluid and scribe the layout, I can now export a quick drawing from Fusion 360 or even Adobe Illustrator and use the screen to mill fancy contours, etc. I haven't used this with ad-hock photos yet (outside of testing the functionality), since I don't often need to reverse engineer stuff but I have a friend who works on performance motorcycles, and he uses that a lot to modify parts, etc.

Hope this makes sense
Regards
Yuriy

Mark,
I've used hole pattern exactly once on a real project. It is a "standard" DRO feature, and TouchDRO had to have it, but I suspect for most general show work it's pretty useless (someone tell me if I'm wrong).

Firmware upgrade will basically turn the V2 glass/magnetic scale adapter into a "lite" version of TDA-420, which also happens to give access to TouchDRO Plus.

I don't know what the right workflow for you is, but I use TouchDRO as a fancy "scratch pad" for coordinates. Most of what I do can be distilled down to:
1. Sizing the stock to the final dimensions
2. Drilling/spotting/reaming/tapping/countersinking/counterboring a bunch of holes
3. Removing some material from random places to give the part the final shape.

I spend 90% of the time in the graphical view screen (although on my new mill I went a bit crazy and got a 12" Galaxy Tab S8 FE that now lives in portrait orientation full time.
The functions that I use on every project are:
  • "Indicate Workspace" to indicate the part. In the "Free" version, the function can use a touch probe to find any of the corners, or the centerline(s). The Plus version adds the "hands-free" mode for the probe, so I have to tap the "Magic Wand" button once, and TouchDRO handles the rest without me needing to touch the screen.
  • Sub-datum memory - a common workflow for me is to enter coordinates into the sub-datum memory (or, if it's only a handful, just move the spindle to the coordinate(s) and tap the "Plus" button). I can then mount center drill into the chuck, turn on auto sub-datum selection and just move between holes on screen without touching the DRO. Plus version gives me a way to type the coordinates into a google doc, export it to .csv and import into TouchDRO. It's easier to type on my macbook using a physical keyboard than on screen mounted at eye level. The "Add sub-datum on z down" is useful, but I can live without it, and so is "Next sub-datum on z down".
  • Cutter radius compensation - any time I'm milling slots, pockets, etc. not having to keep track of "which way and by how much to I need to move for half of 3/8" cutter diameter" has been very useful. In the Plus version I get the convenience of not having to switch the tool offset direction manually, since it can do it based on direction of travel in relation to a "guide line".
  • "Hold" function (especially on the lathe) is super convenient for swapping tooling and preserving the Z offset. I use a manual tool height setter from eBay, but will be adding support for an electronic height setter soon. This is include in the free app, so no need for Plus.
The there is the whole "tour de force" of the Plus version - the Reference Background Image function. For things that I would normally use layout fluid and scribe the layout, I can now export a quick drawing from Fusion 360 or even Adobe Illustrator and use the screen to mill fancy contours, etc. I haven't used this with ad-hock photos yet (outside of testing the functionality), since I don't often need to reverse engineer stuff but I have a friend who works on performance motorcycles, and he uses that a lot to modify parts, etc.

Hope this makes sense
Regards
Yuriy

Makes sense to me, Yuriy. While I am a reasonably capable user after a couple of years of hobby use, there are functions that I don’t use or don’t use often (I’ve used the bolt pattern three times [maybe four?], but in each case it’s saved a lot of thinking and time, particularly when spotting/drilling/tapping a pattern).

I upgraded my iGaging Absolute Plus scales to TouchDRO as I wanted to do more than just use the readouts to replace the dials (and pretty much forget backlash), and TouchDRO does so much more than conventional DRO’s (the math function is very handy) that if I ever have the opportunity to get a Bench Mill to replace my Mini Mill I plan on ordering the mill with pre-installed scales and connect them to a TouchDRO adapter (I may even be able to get P-M to deduct for the DRO).

Yuriy,i just need you to add the feature that downloads what is in my brain and spits out the part i need, when is that coming?
correction "spits out the correct part that i need" not really what is in my mind (scary thought).

Yuriy,i just need you to add the feature that downloads what is in my brain and spits out the part i need, when is that coming?
correction "spits out the correct part that i need" not really what is in my mind (scary thought).
LOL. "Generative AI" is all the rage these days, so ya never know. That said, ChatGPT is known for "hallucinating" things. Are you sure you will be OK if TouchDRO "has a moment" and instead of making you a tablet holder, hallucinates something like a sex toy ;) ?

BTW, pro tip, never buy ANYTHING from AliExpress stores that sell CNC touch probes and adult toys. When they make a mistake in shipping, the conversation with the wife might end up being awkward. Don't ask me how I know. Sorry if this is too inappropriate, but my wife opened my package from AliExpress accidentally (she orders a lot of her bead stuff from there) ... she is still laughing/sobbing and I feel an urge to wash my hands again...

LOL. "Generative AI" is all the rage these days, so ya never know. That said, ChatGPT is known for "hallucinating" things. Are you sure you will be OK if TouchDRO "has a moment" and instead of making you a tablet holder, hallucinates something like a sex toy ;) ?

BTW, pro tip, never buy ANYTHING from AliExpress stores that sell CNC touch probes and adult toys. When they make a mistake in shipping, the conversation with the wife might end up being awkward. Don't ask me how I know. Sorry if this is too inappropriate, but my wife opened my package from AliExpress accidentally (she orders a lot of her bead stuff from there) ... she is still laughing/sobbing and I feel an urge to wash my hands again...

Now I know what must be in some of those sealed boxes at the Amazon Liquidation Store.

Back