TOT Arbor press welding question?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This Old Tony posted a new video on YT about things he did for his arbor press. At one stage, he sets up a deliberate gap, using welding rod.
What is is primary motivation for adopting this technique. What are the advantages?

TOT-Weld2.png

TOT-Weld3.png

After the usual tack welds, he then completes all the way around.
TOT-Weld4.png

I've done this when putting together a tube frame. It allows for easy squaring up by giving some gap for adjustment. Maybe there are other benefits I don't know about.

A quick "dirty" way to get better penetration into the root of the weld, without having to grind a bevel?

He mentioned that back in a square tubing thing...

When he makes the first weld, watch how much they pull up with side two unrestrained. By having a space underneath, he can easily tap it back down to "square" (which appears to be "eyeball square"), and the second weld moves it by the actual "shrink", with no further geometry involved to amplify the movement you see on the first weld.

And any other of ten thousand reasons he could have. I got a hunch that he's a pretty clever guy. It wouldn't surprise me if he had several reasons considered all at once when he makes a decision on how to tie his shoes....

Principal reason is to allow squaring. Welding one part square to another is an art beyond just starting out square.

Back