Tormach 440 Pcnc?

Wow. Sherlline 2000 => Tormach 440? Helluva upgrade! If your better half is hesitant, you might tell her that it would make your family very unique. I think it feasible that you cold be unique in the universe by having a T440 and a Rhesus macaque in the same room. Or for just for having both for that matter!

I'll bet having a monkey is a real trip!
Yes, I know, my Sherline takes forever to mill steel. Nicely made though. A friend in Brazil uses them cnc'd and makes some amazing products. I have seen that machine hog out some ss with a small dental carbide tip in a tool holder made especially for them.
My wife is finally getting over my other friends that passed away, and the Rhesus used to pull her hair 30 years ago, when he was 8 weeks old.
The room seems empty, had 3 more non/human primates, now just Rhesus and parrot.
Having monkeys and baboons and a mountain lion were all lots of fun.
I miss them all. The Rhesus is un altered and has all his teeth, 2" canines.
But, he is gentle, most of the time.
His favorite is pizza and mcdonalds hamburgers. Lol
ome

Having monkeys and baboons and a mountain lion were all lots of fun. I miss them all. The Rhesus is un altered and has all his teeth, 2" canines.
But, he is gentle, most of the time.

Wow! New York? All of those guys could kill you if they were of a mind. I'm guessing you must have some background, and know what you are doing...

Well, I guess if you don't wimp out on pets, why wimp out on a mill? :encourage: Hopefully the noise from it won't annoy your little buddy. :cautious:

For $2k more I'd go 770 for sure! My .02 Understood everyones budget reaches a limit.

For $2k more I'd go 770 for sure! My .02 Understood everyones budget reaches a limit.
Thanks CheeseKing,
I really should look closer at the two.
I have to find out the max weight of the work, and the 770 is three phase, so must need 220 and a phase converter.
I am only a hobbyist, no intention to make any money.
I think even the 440 would be overkill for any of my projects.
Ome

Hi Ome,

Power Requirements: for the 770 are
  • 115 VAC 50/60 Hz single phase (primary). 20A breaker recommended
Kevin

Hi Ome,

Power Requirements: for the 770 are
  • 115 VAC 50/60 Hz single phase (primary). 20A breaker recommended
Kevin
Thanks Kevin,
There must be an onboard inverter.
I know the 1100 is like 500lbs max for a workpiece and vice , clamps....
I think.
I have a buddy who has one of those stair climbers, with a max weight of about 600-700lbs, approximately.
That would make getting the 44o at 450 lbs plus packing much easier from liftgate-sidewalk-front walk-up 4-5 steps to front porch-front door-home
This would be the easiest machine ever at this weight.
Then of course there is the need for a lift , crane, engine hoist.....
I already have a hydraulic cart up to 500 lbs, so it might be possibe with some pipes and thus cart, the bare unit at 450 would work and just about fit, depending on the best way to position the mill and base minus the stand.
Ome

I already have a hydraulic cart up to 500 lbs, so it might be possibe with some pipes and thus cart, the bare unit at 450 would work and just about fit, depending on the best way to position the mill and base minus the stand.

I would be extremely wary pushing the max lift rating on a cart or equipment stand!!! I have a friend who tried to put an engine on a shelf unit rated for more than the engine weighed, and it slowly crushed the shelf as it was lowered by the hoist. IMHO, I think some of the weight limit specs are optimistic at best and dangerous at worst. :eek 2: Maybe if the weight was absolutely, perfectly distributed, stationary with no weight shift, etc. Personally, and this is just my own $0.02, I'd keep it at no more than 60% of rating.

Even 450 lbs is a lot of weight! If a cart wheel crushed, or an axle bent, etc., it would very difficult to stop it from a weird slow motion slipping or tipping off. You sure would not want it to fall on you! For me at least, safety always, always first!

Lacking the proper equipment, it would always be a possibility to hire the job done by someone with the proper equipment. There... handled. If they screw up, they can just buy you a new machine.

It would be heartbreaking to watch your beautiful new machine bounce down the stairs or for someone to get hurt! At the very least it might frighten the monkey! :)

Last edited:
Thanks CheeseKing,
I really should look closer at the two.
I have to find out the max weight of the work, and the 770 is three phase, so must need 220 and a phase converter.
I am only a hobbyist, no intention to make any money.
I think even the 440 would be overkill for any of my projects.
Ome
Pretty sure 770 is single phase. My 1100 is single phase 220
Got mine in basement but took the table off to get thru doors. It was a lot of work I must admit. Engine hoist, 2x12 dolly and the HF gantry.
I have a ton of pics of the entire process. Way to may to post and hijack your thread but heres one or two
35dc02b4a9e4d1b728f45d3f72a7b556.jpg
1aeddd36caef4480f60ed96b484f7e54.jpg

Thank You grepper,
That is very kind and considerate of you.
More importantly, you are absolutely correct.
I tend to do my thinking out loud, or, in a post, and invaluable safety information is the top ptiority.
Rami, the Rhesus, would definitely react, he gets all dominant when he sees a bear or snake on a disney video, very funny.
I will have to do alot of planning for this, we have always done things nice and safe, so this can be no exception.
Hiring a rigger is an excellent idea.
And 60% of 500 is 300, so unless the 440 is broken down, which I would not want to do, another method will be used.
Last machine we had to move was a grizzly mill about 700 lbs , cast iro stand, and table and mill, and my buddy had a hydraulic hand truck with a 24" deep platform, and that is how we got the mill and table on the stand.
This is a totally different situation, we are going up stairs.
Almost like we beed two engine crane(hoists) , one on the porch and the other on the ground.
Sounds like a job for 8 350 lb guys.
Wish I knew a football team. They are plent strong. Lol
Ome

Cool! Sounds like you are experienced and up to the task. It’s just that you never know what some folks are thinking, and Mr. Safety went off in my head when I pictured you trying to balance a 440 on some sort of lift cart and go up stairs with it! Yikes! Please let us know how it goes.

I know this is off topic, something I tend not to do, but I’m so curious! I am amazed and deeply respect the beasts of our beautiful planet, and some, like mountain lions and baboons are extremely formidable creatures! I mean, even a “little” guy like Rami, is more than capable of defending himself, let alone baboon or a cougar! Wow!

Aren’t animals like that kind of freaky to have around?

Back